Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   My first quilt - BOY have I leanred a lot (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/my-first-quilt-boy-have-i-leanred-lot-t37389.html)

nativetexan 02-19-2010 02:47 PM

great quilt. i hate trying to stitch in the ditch. i found that curvy lines going across the quilt look great! with my walking/quilting foot i just move the quilt to the left a bit and then the right as i go along, not even trying to go through intersecting seams. curves hide a lot. :thumbup:

paintedquilt 02-19-2010 02:49 PM

Every journey starts with one stitch :thumbup:

Auntie M 02-19-2010 02:54 PM

[quote=PatriceJ]

Originally Posted by Elisabrat
... FYI I have been quilting for 15 yrs and still I dont always stay in the ditch either (and I know I am not alone).

you are definitely NOT alone. i call it "stitch somewhere 'round the ditch". :lol:

My thoughts exactly -- ditches wander around sometimes don't they? Great job on your first!

Smitty47 02-19-2010 02:54 PM

Way to go and keep it up. It's a surprisingly fun way to be creative, and it will literally keep you in stitches. (Someone told me that once)

miholmes 02-19-2010 03:00 PM

Well my next quilt will be interesting, same exact thing, just bigger.

However this is material my other grabbed. I told her I wanted to do a dog quilt, thinking cute cartoony dogs, she brought me back more of a hunter real life dog fabric and a dark copper marbled fabric. It's not something I would have picked but I think it will be okay.

So far I've only quilted the squares with my walking foot. I think my machine might not be the best thing for doing free motion quilting....even though it wasn't cheap (to me $500 plus tax seems like alot at first) I was looking at a few of the machine I've seen people use in tutorials....and let me TELL you....$1400 on a machine....I almost fell out of my chair. I'm sure they'll worth it, it's a hobby and we all can spend a a pretty penny on it....but up front I just wanted something on the lower end.

Thanks so much for being so welcoming!

~Mike

barnbum 02-19-2010 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by grammyp
I think it looks great. And that is the intended use of a treadmill, isn't it?

I gave up SID and now I stitch near the ditch. I have also been known to use a decorative stitch over the ditch from time to time.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

miholmes 02-19-2010 03:02 PM

As for stitch in the ditch....I wish they had a walking foot & Sitch in the Ditch foot put together....it would make things MUCH simpler for me. :)

~mike

CajunQuilter2 02-19-2010 03:02 PM

What a great job. And don't worry about the stitch in the ditch, some ditches are deeper than others is all. :-) Have you ever sewen something before other than quilting?
Keep up the good work and can't wait to see more of your work.

Jingle 02-19-2010 03:04 PM

Looks great to me!!! Just keep going and you will amaze yourself at how good you are doing !!!

quiltsRfun 02-19-2010 03:07 PM

Nice work! I love the colors and fabric you've chosen.