Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   My First Quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/my-first-quilt-t109680.html)

mrstgo 03-22-2011 10:30 AM

Are you sure they weren't just speechless? That quilt is awesome! A big Thank You from me!

RuthFru 03-22-2011 10:34 AM

The quilt is very nice, nothing wrong with it. Some people (my dad was one of them) just don't seem to show how much they appreciate what is done for them. I am sure they have told others what a nice quilt you made for them. Keep up the good work and keep on quilting.

hirshal 03-22-2011 10:39 AM

I word at a VA in Ny and maybe he has bad memories or experiences from being in the Navy. Was in combat or in a war? Is his behavior about this any different than any other time? Maybe he just didn't know what to say.

CIGAINEROJD 03-22-2011 10:40 AM

Awesome job keep up the good work

shihtzulover 03-22-2011 11:10 AM

Thank you so much for your kind words. You're right, I guess I was expecting some kind of praise or complement from them and when I didn't recieve it, I thought WOW, what did I do wrong???

Abuelita 03-22-2011 11:23 AM

You did a great job - we are a Navy family too.
Don't feel badly, I made a Dresden Quilt for my boss' daughter who got married 12/31/10, I have yet to receive a thank you!
Sometimes people don't realize the time & money involved in making quilts - other quilters can appreciate your efforts. Don't despair!

BobbiSue 03-22-2011 11:24 AM

Dear it is a beautiful quilt and so wonderful that you thought of it. If your parents are like mine were, they probably were speechless. Mention it occasionally and see how they respond. If no thank you is forthcoming, leave it alone. You did it out of love and they know it.... Don't you dare quit quilting!

Originally Posted by shihtzulover
I just finished my first quilt that I made for my dad. He was in the U.S. Navy so I thought this would be perfect for him and mom. WOW the response I got was literally nothing. No Thank You! No that is nice! NOTHING!

Did I do something wrong? Any input would be greatly appreciated. I'm trying to not get depressed and quit quilting over this.

BobbiSue 03-22-2011 11:25 AM

Sorry dear but that is just being rude...

grammy6 03-22-2011 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by shihtzulover
I sure hope that my parents like it. I had so much fun making it and was so excited that it turned out so nice. I just couldn't believe "that I actually made that myself".

I'm not giving up on quilting (though it was tempting). My youngest daughter wants a quilt (and it's in the process of me making it). She was there when I gave it to my parents and she even commented on that fact that they made no comment.

Live and learn.

The quilt is beautiful! I'm sorry your parents weren't kind when you gave it to them. Maybe the problem is some people don't really like quilts. But when Dad needs a throw while watching TV maybe he'll see and appreciate what a nice thing for you to have done. Keep on Quilting!

:thumbup:

QuiltnNan 03-22-2011 01:38 PM

It is a nice commemoration of his service. You did a good job. Some people don't know what to say. I say keep on quiltn'.