Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   My First Quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/my-first-quilt-t318598.html)

PLKern 06-30-2022 09:17 AM

My First Quilt

1 Attachment(s)
As a first time grandmother-to-be, I got an unstoppable urge to make a baby quilt after seeing a picture on the gallery forum here of the "Tale of 2 Kitties Quilt". I found the pattern and instructions online (by Jacqueline Patron) and had a great time finding fabric, mostly from the Little Fawn series by Dear Stella. I complicated the whole experience by deciding to make the quilt smaller than the pattern and by using fabric for the center panel that stretched my fairly basic sewing skills to the max as I had to fit the four parts into an 18-inch square, involving much patching-together and finagling. I had no idea how much math - not my strong point! - was involved in quilting!! I think the triangles (determining size) and the diagonal pattern added to the challenge. Once I had the patchwork finished I was lucky to find a talented local long-arm quilter to do the actual quilting. I do love how the fabric colors and patterns came together and I enjoyed fussy-cutting the little animals, ferns, etc. The quilt was finally finished in time for the baby shower, and my daughter's reaction upon seeing it was one word: "Perfect!". So it was well worth it and I have to thank those who contribute to this forum - it was a lifesaver to be able to search for helpful tips here!!

ekuw 06-30-2022 09:20 AM

That is just the sweetest quilt ever! Fantastic job on your first quilt. Now what are you going to do for your next one? HaHa!

toogie 06-30-2022 09:50 AM

I think your daughter said it all, Perfect! What a sweet little quilt to remember as your first quilt. I love everything about it and the color has always been a favorite...greens. So...do you know if you're getting a grand girl or grand boy? Congratulations!

ps. I wanted to add that I had to smile, when you said you had no idea how much math was involved in quilting. I belong to a group of quilters. I get panels passed on to me when someone can't figure the math. I always loved math, thank goodness. You are so right that there is math involved figuring out a pattern, yardage and math also having to count and see if you have enough extra money to get that fabric, that you love so much! -lol

GingerK 06-30-2022 10:01 AM

My goodness! You really did jump in at the deep end! Your first attempt is absolutely beautiful. Welcome to the Board and we all hope to see many many more of your quilting projects.

Tartan 06-30-2022 10:53 AM

Sew cute!👏🏻

PLKern 06-30-2022 11:01 AM

toogie -- The baby (expected next month) is a boy, and his nursery is green and yellow. I'm very much into girly things, so was happy that I found some green fabrics that inspired me. And what got me through the math quandries was a technical-minded husband plus of course the internet. It had been many years since I said the word "hypotenuse" out loud!!

cjsews 06-30-2022 12:21 PM

That is sew cute. Great job

KLO 06-30-2022 12:29 PM

If this is your first quilt, I cannot wait to see your second one. The fabrics you used are great for a baby quilt and I love all the little animal squares that you were able to include in the design to go along with the middle animals. As ekuw wrote: "what are you going to do for the next one" as you know you are probably hooked now!

Rebaquilts 06-30-2022 01:16 PM

So cute!! Congrats on completing your first quilt, it is adorable!

LAF2019 06-30-2022 02:08 PM

It is perfect. and absolutely impressive for a first quilt! I hope you are addicted now. Welcome to the board.