Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   My giant scrappy log cabin (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/my-giant-scrappy-log-cabin-t187434.html)

himnherr 04-29-2012 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by iluv2quilt65 (Post 5180860)
Great job - In my opinion, a piano border may be too busy and take away from your log cabin interior - how about a (1 to 1 1/2) inch inner border - say a darker blue or green (must audition - this would depend on your outer border chosen ) - and a beautiful medium color and size print fabric for the outer border (3 - 3 1/2") that is no competion for the interior but adds color and frames without intruding. Just something to consider. I do love love your color combinations - upbeat fun. I have spend days selecting borders - just look at it from a distance, walk away, and rethink again the next day - this is also a way to audition the border fabrics. Actually - you may have an insight somewhere around 3:00 am - it happens!!!!! Most important - have fun with your quilts !!!!!

Thanks for the input. I think I'll try what you suggested and audition various border colors. It won't be very wide because I think it's going to get too wide if I do. I had pretty much nixed the idea of the piano key border because of that. So, thanks for the nudge (even though mine was for different reason- it did get me thinking- I'm still fairly new to all of this).

Donna Yount 04-29-2012 05:25 PM

Awesome job, love all the colors.

himnherr 04-29-2012 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by nstitches4u (Post 5180637)
It is beautiful! How do you QAYG after the blocks are assembled? The only QAYG that I have seen is quilted as the blocks are assembled. I would love to see how you do this. A tutorial???

Norma

I can't do a tutorial but I'll describe how I'm doing it. I took the layout- started in top left corner, pinned one vertical row, sewed those blocks together. I then cut my batting about 1/2" wider than the blocks and about 3" longer than the strip of blocks. I cut my backing into strips the same length but about 1/2" wider on both sides than my batting. I pinned my backing on in strategic places and started working from the center of the block out. I SID on one side of the red center square working my way out stitching in the ditch only on the ends of the "logs", so it makes a kind of zigzag effect. I did that out to end on all 4 corners. When I get that row done I will start on the next vertical row. Since I'm not stitching to the outer log it'll leave the top free on the last 1" on both sides. I will lay 2 strips facing each other, sew through just the top, making it all one quilt top, with the batting and backing already quilted. Then I will fold under the extra backing and stitch in the ditch catching the backing. I have done it this way before on a 9 patch and it worked fine. I know the front will look just fine done this way, and I purposely chose a busy calico print for the backing so mistakes won't show too much. And, remember it's for my camper. :-)

girlsfour 04-29-2012 05:29 PM

Wow - I like it! Great job!

LC1562 04-29-2012 06:33 PM

That is on my list of quilts to make--a scrappy log cabin, I sure do like yours. Beautiful!!!!

ladypetite 04-29-2012 06:35 PM

Love that layout in addition to the cheerful colors! Great job and thanks for sharing!

lfstamper 04-29-2012 06:35 PM

WOW - very pretty!

sharin'Sharon 04-29-2012 07:19 PM

Oh-h-h, I like VERY much.

ruthie 04-29-2012 07:20 PM

Very pretty.

Gerbie 04-29-2012 07:35 PM

beautiful! Oh I love Log cabins