Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   My Great Grandmother's friendship quilt 1934 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/my-great-grandmothers-friendship-quilt-1934-a-t182931.html)

KSellers 03-15-2012 06:53 PM

My Great Grandmother's friendship quilt 1934

3 Attachment(s)
Years back I was given my Great Grandmother's friendship quilt, as I was the only one willing to try to repair it. Well it got put away, we moved, life happened, and pretty much I forgot about it until I joined QB in Jan. 2011. I got it out and began to carefully try to access what needed to be done. All of the black fabric was so rotten if you touched it, it would just fall off. Much of it was already missing as you can see in the picture. So I removed all the saching and borders and replace it with new black fabric. I had to just hand stitch it on to keep the integrity of the original quilt. I am very pleased with the finished product, and it lays across the love seat in my family room. It's funny, every time a family member comes over they say they would love to have the quilt! I sometimes feel guilty, but then I remember the hours I worked to restore it, and I don't feel bad at all. I hope you enjoy. Kathy

KSellers 03-15-2012 06:55 PM

Sorry about that last picture -- it came out very blurry, but I wanted you to see the date.

annies-best 03-15-2012 06:56 PM

How wonderful........... don't let them make you guilty I see you had to work very hard it is very nice

eann 03-15-2012 07:26 PM

A beautiful treasure! You did a remarkable job restoring it. Let your family look and enjoy, but don't feel guilty!

Quilterfay 03-15-2012 07:51 PM

I have my grandmothers quilt that she made in the late 20 and early 30. It is in really bad shape but I can't bring myself to do anything to it as it will not be hers than. So it hangs over my quilt rack. The best part of this is that I have a picture of her standing in front of this quilt when she got it done.

mighty 03-15-2012 08:11 PM

You did a wonderful job restoring it. Now you will be able to enjoy it for many years to come!!!

Aunt Janey 03-15-2012 08:36 PM

Remember you are the one that took on the project of restoring the quilt and don't let the others try to make you feel bad. They didn't want it when it was a mess!!
Love all your work. I'm sure your great grandmother is very pleased with what you have done. Your are lucky to have a picture of her with the quilt.

BETTY62 03-15-2012 09:01 PM

What a great job you did of restoring the quilt. Don't feel guilty, you earned to right to own it.

Prettiptibbs 03-15-2012 09:09 PM

Great job onthe restoration! I would hold on to it too....

NatalieMacDonald 03-15-2012 10:22 PM

Your restoration is beautifully done. I wonder why just the black fabric fell away and not the other piecing? Do you think the black dye is harsher on the fabric?