Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   My hand dyeing experience (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/my-hand-dyeing-experience-t25238.html)

rb. 09-09-2009 07:25 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Went ok. Colours that seem solid are mottled, but the camera didn't pick it up. I'm no photographer. :lol:

Ducky 09-09-2009 07:39 AM

The colors turned out beautifully! Did you take a class or teach yourself? They are really great.

odysseyquilter 09-09-2009 07:40 AM

Absolutely G O R G E O U S!!! Was it hard to do? And what do you plan to make with it?

rb. 09-09-2009 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by Ducky
The colors turned out beautifully! Did you take a class or teach yourself? They are really great.

Thank you. Self taught. On Labour Day. :lol: Without a book, just a website I found with a lot of instructions. I need a book to learn all the important stuff, like WHY to do things, and HOW things work. I was pretty much winging it.

I had to just jump in because the batik-type fabrics I like I can only get for between $16 and $21 a metre here, and I'd buy online, but can't tell the coloour for certain.

rb. 09-09-2009 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by odysseyquilter
Absolutely G O R G E O U S!!! Was it hard to do? And what do you plan to make with it?

Not hard at all. I'm planning on doing more (only used 3 colours of the 16 dye colours I bought), since I'm looking for blues/greens and turquoises/purples for my two daughters' mariner's compass quilts. I also want to try a New York Beauty or two.

rb. 09-09-2009 08:05 AM

Anyone who is interested, the dyes were not very expensive, and the supplies to do it (ie. buckets, polished rocks, disposible beer cups, etc.) cost a total of $15 at the dollar store.

RedGarnet222 09-09-2009 08:11 AM

I love this! Can you give us the link to the website?

amandasgramma 09-09-2009 08:22 AM

I agree --- I'm a long ways from quilt shops that carry a variety of colors in the "dyed" look......these are beautiful! I'd like the link, too.

Moonpi 09-09-2009 08:25 AM

I think they turned out great. If you want more uniform coverage, less mottled, you may need to adjust the soda ash you use. Also, if you are doing a low-immersion method, turn your jar or container. If you want more texture, you can play with other effects, like sprinkling with coarse salt to draw the colors into small points of light. Also, using an old toothbrush, you can spatter on some nice metallics or another color can produce some great effects. Part of the fun is never quite knowing what your end result will be.

Where did you get your dye? Dharma Trading has a great selection.

Also - a reminder - some of the chemicals used in dyes are not meant to be injested. Once you use an item for dye, NO FOOD in that container. I use a salad spinner to get excess dye out and would never dream of using it for food.

Ducky 09-09-2009 08:27 AM

rb, I keep looking at your pictures and studying the fabrics. I've GOT to learn how to do that. Wow, they sure are beautiful for a self-taught beginning. I'm impressed. I, too, would love the link if you don't mind sharing it with us.

A Mariner's Compass would look amazing with your vibrant colors!

BTW, welcome to the board. Lots of great people here.