Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   My Kaleidoscope Super Queen-Sized (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/my-kaleidoscope-super-queen-sized-t60012.html)

newestnana 08-18-2010 06:10 AM

3 Attachment(s)
When I first started quilting officially (i.e., went to a LQS and got instructions...previously I'd pieced a couple of small quilts together using my clothing-sewing skills...like 5/8" seams), I naively took on a kaleidoscope quilt. Not exactly a good project for a beginner, who hasn't learned the importance of accuracy, pressing the right direction, etc. Anyway, that was in Feb 2009. A few days ago I FINALLY finished it!

There probably isn't a perfect stitch in the quilt, and the FMQ is, well, wobbly to say the least. FMQing a quilt that really is probably king size was a challenge. It's pictured on my queen size bed, but I made it big because I hate when the sheets hang longer than the quilt, but I probably overcompensated LOL.

The quilt is so busy if I put something on it I may never find it. Really had to tidy up my bedroom to take the pictures. :lol:

I had hand-pieced and hand-quilted the dolphins wall hanging over the bed.

Super sized kaleidoscope
[ATTACH=CONFIG]98955[/ATTACH]

Reverse side, showing the FMQ
[ATTACH=CONFIG]98956[/ATTACH]

Wall hanging
[ATTACH=CONFIG]98957[/ATTACH]

erstan947 08-18-2010 06:14 AM

I learn by doing everything wrong. I looks to me like you catch on fast. Love your quilt and wall hanging. Good job. Finished always feels good!

Grama Lehr 08-18-2010 06:15 AM

You made a wonderful quilt!! I understand your delima, I've sewn for years, and adjusting to 1/4 inch seams is a HUGE problem.
You should be really proud of your quilt!! :thumbup:

Moon Holiday 08-18-2010 06:17 AM

Nice bed quilt... I like your colors.
The wall hanging looks similar to a block I've put on teeshirts and totebags. Is it paper-pieced? Mine were.

Ditter43 08-18-2010 06:17 AM

Oh Marcia, I love it!!! I think it is very restful , with the colors you used.....very water like...perfect with your beautiful wall hanging!! Your quilting looks fine....the quilt police won't be there to inspect it!!! Great job!! :D :thumbup: :thumbup:

Ritzquilts 08-18-2010 06:25 AM

Love them both...And good for you in finishing it...Our secrets is secret with us in your mistakes..But my motto is a done quilt is better the a perfect quilt

newestnana 08-18-2010 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by Moon Holiday
Nice bed quilt... I like your colors.
The wall hanging looks similar to a block I've put on teeshirts and totebags. Is it paper-pieced? Mine were.

The wall hanging is made entirely of little squares (except for the appliqued dolphins), not paper-pieced. It's called sunset frolic from e-patterns.com.

Yarn or Fabric 08-18-2010 06:28 AM

Awesome! I love your quilt - and the wall hanging is really great too.

quiltbugs 08-18-2010 06:31 AM

Really pretty - - it looks so...."BEACH-Y"! I love it.

heather1949 08-18-2010 06:40 AM

You should be proud, I love it.