Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   my Mexican Star I made as a Christmas present (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/my-mexican-star-i-made-christmas-present-t279731.html)

MargaretH 06-19-2016 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by oldpiglady (Post 7580874)
I guess I should have stated it was given to my own daughter. Five months later and she still hasn't hung it up. Maybe I'll just make myself one, instead. oh well!

I love quilts..just not on my walls. Maybe she is the same .

riverandwoods 06-19-2016 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by loisf (Post 7580906)
I think your quilt is very pretty. Maybe your daughter is like mine and just doesn't like quilts, beautiful or otherwise. It is so disappointing when your efforts aren't rewarded with appreciation. I made a very pretty lap quilt for my brother-in-law's wedding and never even got a thank you note. You'd think folks in their 60's would know better.

What is it with that these days? Good etiquette has sure flown by the wayside. Graduations, showers,weddings. I can't remember the last time I got a " thank you" note.

Oldpiglady, your quilt is absolutely beautiful. Don't let it get you down. When I was much younger I didnt appreciate things as I do now. Perspective is often found in age.

Jordan 06-19-2016 10:27 AM

I think your quilt is lovely. Too bad the recipient didn't appreciate it. Possibly a non quilter does not appreciate what work and love goes into making a quilt!! :(

dunster 06-19-2016 11:43 AM

People who don't quilt often don't understand that quilts can be hung on walls, as art. Or perhaps she does understand that, but doesn't have a wall that's suitable. I think it's beautiful too.

Terricat 06-19-2016 01:39 PM

I made a handkerchief quilt for my mom a couple years ago, using hankies that were her mother's or grand-mother's and a few unknowns. I personally thought it was pretty cool. It wasn't my idea; my mom had seen one in a magazine and had asked if I would me one like that if she provided the hankies? I said sure, but there was NO timeline, so I planned it for her 90th birthday. On her birthday when I surprised her with it, she said "OH!" And that was it. Didn't say she loved it, didn't say 'oh it's nice', nothing, and I didn't get the feeling that she was speechless, it was just ---- nothing. Months and months after the fact she has expressed gratitude---- a little bit. :) So I understand how you feel. Your quilt is lovely, you did a perfect job on it!

QUILTNMO 06-19-2016 04:11 PM

very pretty sorry she didnt like it!!!

redquilter 06-19-2016 04:43 PM

It's lovely and since it's your daughter, I wouldn't hesitate to tell her "if she's not crazy about it, that's fine, but I love it so can I have it back?"

quiltingshorttimer 06-19-2016 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by redquilter (Post 7581352)
It's lovely and since it's your daughter, I wouldn't hesitate to tell her "if she's not crazy about it, that's fine, but I love it so can I have it back?"

absolutely! I have given both my kids a number of quilts and really don't expect that they will use or have all of them displayed even. My DIL refuses to use the table toppers I've given her on the table--says her boys will mess them up so uses them (if seasonal) on the wall as decoration--I've said I'll do wall quilts too if you would like, but... my daughter's house is very nicely decorated but because of that, she doesn't want many quilts displayed--she uses one on the bed and her husband has a lap quilt I gave him, but otherwise she has one that hangs over the rail of her loft--and they have several. She does switch them out, again more seasonally. I have to admit that even I don't have all the quilts I've made displayed--usually just one on the back of the sofa and one on stair rail!

BrendaK 06-19-2016 05:16 PM

You did well. BrendaK

pocoellie 06-19-2016 05:23 PM

It's a beautiful quilt, oldpiglady, so sorry that your daughter apparently doesn't like it. Maybe you could ask for it back, and let her know you'll make something else more to her liking.