Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   My Montgomery Ward $5 finds (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/my-montgomery-ward-%245-finds-t59689.html)

gingerella 08-16-2010 06:33 PM

But wait !! My husband says go to the Google line and type in the name of the machine and the number - you will find any number of places to buy the manual.

reach for the stars 2 08-16-2010 07:12 PM

Great buy

AnnaK 08-16-2010 07:18 PM

My guild has a group of young women who want to learn how to quilt and they have been asking for more machines so they can have something to work with. This is a good idea. I'll check my Goodwill for machines.

redpurselady 08-17-2010 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by NikkiLu
I have a MW Model No. UHT J1939

It looks almost just like your first one - does it have a little door on the top that opens and little cams fit in it? I do have the book on mine if that helps you at all.

This one does not have cams. There is a lever on the top that lets you choose the type of stitch you want.

My intent for these was to spruce them up and donate them to a group that teaches young girls how to quilt. Right now I am debating with myself if it is worthwhile to get her fixed (unless I can do it myself). Both of these machines weigh in around 40 pounds each! Since the URR 260 is working, I will buy the manual online. It's a shame there is no resource online to help you date these machines or get the name of the original manufacturer. Ward only labeled their machines - they never manufactured them.

redpurselady 08-17-2010 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by isnthatodd
I had a Signature machine like your second picture for a long time, until I wore it out. I did like it. Got it when we got married and used it for 4 kids and about 25 years!

Could you tell me the year you purchased yours? I would like to have an idea of how old mine could be - she still works and I just bought the manual for her so I will be oiling her this weekend.

Thanks,

cjomomma 08-22-2010 08:18 PM

OHMIGOSH!!! I just bought a montgomery sewing machine at a yards sale today for $2.00 that almost looks like the first pic. Mine doesn't have the cord.

bels 08-22-2010 10:20 PM

Luck-eeeeee!

klarina 04-30-2011 07:47 PM

Did you get the manual for the 260?

Originally Posted by redpurselady
I just happened to come upon these at a resale shop that donates proceeds to a battered women's shelter. They were marked at $20, but when I asked for a discount (I always ask for a discount :-) ) she said they wanted to get rid of all machines so they were all $5 as is. I was so excited with the first one which came with several attachments and seemed to be in good condition. When I got home and tried her out, the bobbin chamber does not turn so I will try and have her fixed if not too expensive. The other machine works perfectly, just need to find a manual so I can keep her oiled and happy.

audreylw 12-22-2016 09:06 PM

Could you possibly copy your manual and send it to me? photo's or pdf/scans would be great! I have the same machine j1939 works great, just need info on the settings for different sewing. ty Audreylw

Becky's Crafts 12-23-2016 06:16 AM

I have a Signature sewing machine my MIL gave me 37 years ago. The wiring is brittle now, so I'm scared to use it, but I loved it! I'd still be using it if it weren't for that brittle wiring! I'm afraid of it starting a fire. Fabulous machine!! Congratulations on a grand purchase!!