Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   My new bag and rag quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/my-new-bag-rag-quilt-t124805.html)

IrelandDragonQuilting 05-21-2011 06:24 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here is my beautiful bag, made by the one and only DeniseB I LOVE IT! It only took me two months to finally decide on the colors I wanted, she even made me a wicked cute little tissue holder that matches the bag.

Here is one of the irons in my fire that I am finally getting finished. I have gotten the slumps lately, but finally getting the UFO's going again, here is my Halloween rag quilt. I love to sit out Halloween night and hand out toys that I get from Oriental trading company to all the kids, and this will be nice to cover up with when it gets chilly. The squares are six inches I do not put in the x's because the squares are small. The total size of the quilt is approx 66" x 84

wvdek 05-21-2011 06:38 PM

Very nice. What took you so long? :}

SandyinZ4 05-21-2011 06:40 PM

Your Halloween rag quilt is simply the 'cat's meow'! Great job!

IrelandDragonQuilting 05-21-2011 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by wvdek
Very nice. What took you so long? :}

LOL I wanted about thirty different ones, but could only afford one. ;)

TacoMama 05-21-2011 06:50 PM

Love it!

earthwalker 05-21-2011 07:15 PM

Love the quilt....very appropriate. The bag is really stylish, great fabric.

angelwatcher 05-21-2011 10:46 PM

Cute bag and rag quilt. Question for the quilt, is your batting the same size as your squares? If it is than it will be caught in the seams and won't move into a lump in the center if you don't sew an X across the block. Years ago I made a rag quilt that had a heart appliqued/sewn in the center of the block on top of the square and that's what held the three layers together. Unfortunately the batting around the outside of the heart area wasn't caught in the seam allowance and after washing several times lumped around the heart. So now I always sew an X across the block if my batting is smaller than the blocks, (ex. 7" in a 8" block) whether I applique or not.

craftybear 05-21-2011 10:58 PM

great job, love the bag and rag quilt

IrelandDragonQuilting 05-22-2011 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by angelwatcher
Cute bag and rag quilt. Question for the quilt, is your batting the same size as your squares? If it is than it will be caught in the seams and won't move into a lump in the center if you don't sew an X across the block. Years ago I made a rag quilt that had a heart appliqued/sewn in the center of the block on top of the square and that's what held the three layers together. Unfortunately the batting around the outside of the heart area wasn't caught in the seam allowance and after washing several times lumped around the heart. So now I always sew an X across the block if my batting is smaller than the blocks, (ex. 7" in a 8" block) whether I applique or not.

Good to know! Thank you!
I used flannel instead of batting and made the flannel the same size as the the rest of the squares, I really like the way flannel frays out, almost like chenille. But it does make the quilt heavier when I use flannel, and oh so warm.

SueDor 05-22-2011 04:55 AM

Very nice!