Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   My New Crazy Quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/my-new-crazy-quilt-t119941.html)

bisseau 04-30-2011 05:42 PM

I love it...beautiful work.

quiltingbea 04-30-2011 05:47 PM

It's very pretty. I like the color combinations.

craftoholic 04-30-2011 05:48 PM

I love crazy quilts..... they are all so unique!

Deborahlees 04-30-2011 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by LeslieFrost
Beautiful!

What backing fabric do you use for these?

I'm sorry do you mean the foundation which was a 60/40 blend so I didn't have to worry about it shrinking. Batting was simple warm and natural. Backing is a very simple piece of calico. the binding was the major trick I had to master. Three rows of stitching with clear polyester thread to hold down the lace. currently still sewing the binding on hopefully by tomorrow I will be done. This prize is a gift for my daughter in law for giving me two beautiful grand children....

Cybrarian 04-30-2011 05:52 PM

Your quilt is beautiful!!! I must admit I'm not clear how a crazy quilt is constructed. Patterns? Paper pieced? With different types of fabric is everythIng prewashed more than once to insure everything is done shrinking or do you focus on repurposed materials? The handmade lace is a spectacular frame. Is it speciAl to you in some way or one of those amazing finds you keep for just the right project?

Deborahlees 04-30-2011 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Cybrarian
Your quilt is beautiful!!! I must admit I'm not clear how a crazy quilt is constructed. Patterns? Paper pieced? With different types of fabric is everythIng prewashed more than once to insure everything is done shrinking or do you focus on repurposed materials? The handmade lace is a spectacular frame. Is it speciAl to you in some way or one of those amazing finds you keep for just the right project?

the lace is from my mothers stash. every piece of fabric is from my scrap box. Nothing new at all, just bits and pieces from years of saving....

Ramona Byrd 04-30-2011 05:55 PM

I love Crazy Quilts, they are real works of art. Now you can grab it when company comes, like the old Victorian ladies did. Their work was so lovely and delicate that they used them to show visitors that they were rich enough that they had time to do "workless" time for quilting a non quilt lap robe.

The women who came in to scrub the floor and do the cooking and washing and ironing and all the rest of the work around the place didn't have the time, energy or money to do such delicate handiwork, even if they did have the talent.

Is this a lap quilt or for the bed? If for the bed, WOW, you've done a marvelous and totally awesome job on such a large piece of art.

Deborahlees 04-30-2011 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
I love Crazy Quilts, they are real works of art. Now you can grab it when company comes, like the old Victorian ladies did. Their work was so lovely and delicate that they used them to show visitors that they were rich enough that they had time to do "workless" time for quilting a non quilt lap robe.

The women who came in to scrub the floor and do the cooking and washing and ironing and all the rest of the work around the place didn't have the time, energy or money to do such delicate handiwork, even if they did have the talent.

Is this a lap quilt or for the bed? If for the bed, WOW, you've done a marvelous and totally awesome job on such a large piece of art.

it is a good size lap, 50 x 65" and will be a gift.

Mrs B 04-30-2011 06:26 PM

I love crazy quilts and yours is one of the best I've seen in a long time. What a unique binding you have used. Did you make the lace yourself?

oksewglad 04-30-2011 06:29 PM

The extra stitching and lace makes this crazy quilt set apart from most. Thanks for sharing.