Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   My New Find in a 2nd hand store (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/my-new-find-2nd-hand-store-t82118.html)

deltadawn 12-11-2010 11:44 AM

Beautiful find.

Jan in VA 12-11-2010 12:28 PM

Is this quilt an imported one from about 20 years ago? They were often finished without binding.

I don't recognize the fabrics; imports are often made with "similars" but not American designed fabric.

Was it handquilted with big stitches that are somewhat uneven? The skill level of the original workers in the "quilt trade" (many of whom were virtual slave laborers) was quite poor. It has improved over the years.

The pattern is also somewhat unfamiliar. Many of the early imports were designed overseas and did not look like ours, though this one is really quite interesting.

Is the batting polyester? Most of the early imports used poly exclusively. It also allowed for wide unquilted areas as this photo appears to have.

IF you think it might be an import rather a true American quilt, taking it apart to repair, to rebatt if you desire, and even to use a binding, would definitely improve it and would not hurt the value.

Jan in VA

Scissor Queen 12-11-2010 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA
Is this quilt an imported one from about 20 years ago? They were often finished without binding.

I don't recognize the fabrics; imports are often made with "similars" but not American designed fabric.

Was it handquilted with big stitches that are somewhat uneven? The skill level of the original workers in the "quilt trade" (many of whom were virtual slave laborers) was quite poor. It has improved over the years.

The pattern is also somewhat unfamiliar. Many of the early imports were designed overseas and did not look like ours, though this one is really quite interesting.

Is the batting polyester? Most of the early imports used poly exclusively. It also allowed for wide unquilted areas as this photo appears to have.

IF you think it might be an import rather a true American quilt, taking it apart to repair, to rebatt if you desire, and even to use a binding, would definitely improve it and would not hurt the value.

Jan in VA

My first impression was that it is an import quilt. Taking it apart and giving it a cotton batting and better quilting would probably improve it a whole lot!

CoyoteQuilts 12-11-2010 12:45 PM

I really like that scalloped edge! It is a beautiful quilt too!

ScrapQuilter 12-11-2010 12:45 PM

Wow - I need to shop with you................

quiltinggirl 12-11-2010 01:24 PM

Beautiful indeed!

Norene B 12-11-2010 01:27 PM

The fabric this is made out of is the heavy cotton. The backing looks like the older heavy white sheets they used to make. There are 2 seams in the outer white band toward the edge of the quilt that need to be fixed and there is a couple places in the middle where fabrics meet that need to be patched, and one spot I found where the back and front is sewed together. Sue at the LQS looked at it and says it is hand-stitched for the quilting but they did 3 stitches to the inch. The batting looks like the older poly stuff one used to get, but is not very thick.

Chrys 12-11-2010 01:28 PM

what a great find!

Scissor Queen 12-11-2010 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Norene B
The fabric this is made out of is the heavy cotton. The backing looks like the older heavy white sheets they used to make. There are 2 seams in the outer white band toward the edge of the quilt that need to be fixed and there is a couple places in the middle where fabrics meet that need to be patched, and one spot I found where the back and front is sewed together. Sue at the LQS looked at it and says it is hand-stitched for the quilting but they did 3 stitches to the inch. The batting looks like the older poly stuff one used to get, but is not very thick.

3 stitches to the inch definitely says Chinese import.

TFquilter 12-11-2010 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Norene B
Just check this quilt out. Isn't it beautiful, was lying there abandoned. The lady tried to fix a spot on it but needs to be redone.

You lucky duck...what a treasure..!

:thumbup: