Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   My 'New Knee' Project (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/my-new-knee-project-t208647.html)

margee 12-17-2012 04:12 PM

I just bought my first hexagon papers to do a GFG. Have been wanting to start one forever but couldn't understand how it was done and read how hard it was to do. However I saw a person in LQS putting some together one day and it didn't look hard. Anyway, I had given up on the idea and then walking out of LQS one day recently saw a book called English Paper Piecing. I decided to look at it and lo and behold the diagrams were done so that I finally knew how to do this. Will start in next few days.

kitsykeel 12-17-2012 04:29 PM

Are hexagons made using the paper piecing method? If so I would like to try that as I like paper piecing. Not so fond of handwork though, but if it isn't too hard I would try. Also, do you cut a bunch out at once by stacking and do you use a rotary cutter?

francie yuhas 12-17-2012 04:54 PM

I'm happy to hear you' re doing OK! I have bone-on-bone in both knees and am wondering whatis the Deion point,where decide it' s " time" to jump in and do it. I'm lousy at sitting.

francie yuhas 12-17-2012 04:55 PM

I'm happy to hear you' re doing OK! I have bone-on-bone in both knees and am wondering whatis the Decision point,where decide it' s " time" to jump in and do it. I'm lousy at sitting.

sewsewquilter 12-17-2012 05:05 PM

Glad to hear you are doing better. Sorry for the set backs you had. Love the hexagons. I have been trying to decide on a layout to do for a hexagon quilt. There are so many pretty ones to chose from.

mighty 12-17-2012 08:25 PM

That is alot!!! They look great!!!!

CoventryUK 12-18-2012 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by kitsykeel (Post 5726133)
Are hexagons made using the paper piecing method? If so I would like to try that as I like paper piecing. Not so fond of handwork though, but if it isn't too hard I would try. Also, do you cut a bunch out at once by stacking and do you use a rotary cutter?

I use the English Paper Piecing method. There is an excellent site www.texasfreckles.com where you can download and print out the templates. I use 1" templates (15 to a page) I usually print 10 sheets at a time then sit in front of TV cutting them out with scissors! My fabrics are all 1930s prints and are cut 21/2" square(mainly from Jelly Rolls or Charm packs) if you look at Pic 5 you will see closeup I don't cut fabric into hexagons.! For years I have steered clear of hexagons/handwork but I have so enjoyed doing it and am thrilled with how its looking! I know it'll take a while but I think I will stick at it and hopefully this will be a finish rather than another UFO!!! That's the plan!! Give it a go!!!!

CoventryUK 12-18-2012 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by francie yuhas (Post 5726166)
I'm happy to hear you' re doing OK! I have bone-on-bone in both knees and am wondering whatis the Decision point,where decide it' s " time" to jump in and do it. I'm lousy at sitting.

Thankyou! I had put it off for 10years!! I hit the BIG 70 in April and suddenly decided the time was right!! After all the setbacks I did feel I'd perhaps made the 'wrong' decision:( but 5 months down the line and a lot of improvement I'm now happy!! I'm lucky that I have been very well cared for by my wonderful DH....he even did the IRONING!!!!:thumbup:

northern lass 12-18-2012 03:18 AM

So pleased to hear your knee is healing. Your hexagons are looking lovely. Can't wait to see the quilt finished.
I too am looking for a hand project and this may be just what I need. A good way to use stash.

wolph33 12-18-2012 04:30 AM

very nice.you can not stop a quilter-slow em down-but not stop them.great way to stay busy