Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   My Newest Project (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/my-newest-project-t2160.html)

Marsha 09-05-2007 10:40 AM

THTA IS SO SO SO CUTE

KATHY D 09-05-2007 10:48 AM

That is so cute! I have that pattern, but haven't made it up yet. Going to make it for the grandkids. For those wanting the pattern. I got mine at Walmart. It is a simplicity pattern. You can make a dog, cat or a bear. Yours is just so adorable. Good job

lin 09-05-2007 10:50 AM

Good to know. Thanks Kathy!

Feathers 09-05-2007 12:05 PM

Study away and go for it...It's a very simple pattern. I'll try to make the bear with the different pieces and put the dimensions on each piece and scan it and post it. Won't be today or the rest of the week as I have lots happening. The bear goes to the new parents-to- be on Saturday...family reunion, shower, etc. so won't have much time...Hang on, I think I'll do it now while I'm thinking about it! Please bear in mind, I am NOT an artist so my example is pretty juvenile or rough!

NOTES: DO NOT LOOK for PATTERN Piece #7...it isn't there!

Because you are using 3 layers of flannel it is easier if you can do the "rag" quilt application in smaller sections rather than in one large piece so I run a 1/2 inch seam around EACH pattern piece and I cut the fringe on each outside piece BEFORE I sew everything together. The eyes are all fringed before sewing them on the quilt. DO NOT fringe where the seams are going to come together between the pattern pieces...aka, sew #3 and 2 together THEN fringe. Sew #2 and #1 together then fringe etc. I also applique the nose and satin stitch the mouth BEFORE I attache any of the other pieces to it. Attach the inner ear to the outer ear AFTER you fringe it and before you attache the ear to the head of the quilt.

Outer Ear - Pattern Piece # 11 - 13 inches by 8 inches - Need 2 that are sandwiched with 3 layers of flannel...right side, back side and a layer of flannel in the middle that is the "batting" in this quilt. You will do this layering in ALL pieces of the quilt.

Inner Ear - Piece #12 is 8 inches x 5 inches - Do 3 layer sandwich same as above.

EYE - I used a small coffee cup/tea cup for a pattern for the size of the eye which is about 4 inches in diameter. I then used a 2 inch circle for the center of the eye...each of these 2 pieces (the 4 inch circle and the 2 inch circle) are layered with 3 fabrics same as all the other pieces.

Piece #1 - Forehead - Need 2 "Sandwiches" as described above. These pieces are 12 inches at the top, 7 inches at the bottom where they are sewed to the muzzel and 15 inches from top to bottom.

Piece #2 - Piece just below the ear - 13 inches x 15 inches with the bottom that is next to the muzzle of the bear that is 6 inches...my picture doesn't show it but the #2 piece is quite abit wider at the top than the bottom as the dimensions indicate.

Piece #3 Lower Cheek - 11 inches on the outside edge, 9 inches from upper outside edge to the muzzle edge, 6 inches wide around the muzzle and 9 inches on the lower edge from outside to muzzle.

Muzzle: Piece #4- 17 inches wide x 11 inches

The NOSE is appliqued to the muzzle. It's a piece of fabric shaped like a rounded triangle that is 7 inches wide at the top and 5 inches from top to bottom. The mouth is drawn on the fabric then I used a satin stitch to sew it on.

Piece #5 - Center Body - 8 inches by 13 inches - 2 sandwich pieces

Piece #6 - Outside Edge Center Body - 9 inches x 13 inches - 2 sandwich pieces

Piece # 7 - NONE

Piece #8 - Hands and Feet -Cut 4 pieces each 7 inches x 14 inches. The 14 inch section is where you attach the hands

[/i]
Piece #9 Middle lower body - Cut 2 and make sandwiches 8 inches by 16 inches

Piece #10 - Outside lower body - Could be the leg of the bear...I chose to make it part of the "quilt" the bear is under. This piece is 10 inches wide by 16 inches long.

#11 and #12 Are the EARS See the notation above regarding the ears.

After the quilt is all sewn together you will fringe the outside edges of the quilt that you haven't already fringed and you're done! I found that it's BEST to use the same fabric on the backside as you do on the front side so you don't get confused (I get confused very easily)! LOL.

MOST IMPORTANT NOTATION: label EACH pattern piece as you cut it with the number of the piece and keep that label on the piece until it is sewn into the quilt. I was advised this because my friend told horror stories about NOT labeling. On pieces # 3 and #4 there is a slight downward curve to the pattern piece where it is sewn to the body of the quilt. Likewise, pieces #5 and #6 have a slight downward curve as well so the head is more clearly defined from the body...not much of a curve, just a bit.

Make sure and line up your seams so when you fringe it all the fringy part is in a nice even row or line.

VERY, VERY MOST IMPORTANT NOTATION....After you make this quilt take it to a commercial laundramat to wash and dry it. As with all rag quilts, the flannel "sheds" like crazy and about 10 pounds of lint comes off the blanket which could cause a fire in your home if you aren't there to clean out the filters every few minutes while it's washing or drying. It's easier to spend $4 on a commercial wash and dry and not worry. Make sure you clean out the washer you wash it in to get all the lint out of the washer.

Hope these instructions are helpful and that you can make a blanket. Make sure and post a picture.

Feathers 09-05-2007 12:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
HI Lin:
I sent instructions for the bear quilt but the diagram won't send for reasons only the computer devil knows! :twisted: I have attached the copy of the actual blanket and will tell you the numbers using the actual quilt:

#3 Lower Cheek piece (spotted fabric) that is on both sides of the bear head that attaches to the main body. Attaches to Piece #4 which is the muzzle

#2 Upper Cheek (black fabric) that is the piece that goes up to the ear on both sides of the bear head. Attaches to Piece #4 - muzzle

#1 Forehead of bear - (Spotted Fabric) 2 of these pieces sewn together at the top of the bear head . Attaches to Piece #4-muzzle

#6 Orange Fabric in body of the quilt on both sides - hands are attached to the orange pieces. Attaches to Piece #3, #4 on both sides of the head.

#5 - Stripe pink/green/white/orange/purple/blue fabric is the middle body of the bear (in my case I made these bright colors as a quilt OVER the bear)

#10 Purple Fabric on both sides of the bear...these can be the legs of the bear or in my quilt, it's the bottom of the quilt the bear is laying under. Attaches to Piece #6 and 5 on both sides of the body

#9 Green Fabric are the center 2 blocks in the lower part of the quilt - the feet are attached to the bottom of the quilt however you wish to place them.

I sure ho-pe this helps in clarifying. I'm so much better with a [picture or if I can see what I'm making and i feel bad that I couldn't get the picture I scanned to come up.

lin 09-05-2007 12:34 PM

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!! That was so nice of you to do that. I have to make this quilt sometime. Like for my very next grandchild. ;) I'll copy all you wrote and keep it in a file. I'm MUCH abliged for all your work. :)

live2teach 09-05-2007 06:49 PM

That is the cutest thing I have ever seen. AWWW! What do you mean the baby...I would love to carry that around..haha lol.

lin 09-05-2007 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by live2teach
That is the cutest thing I have ever seen. AWWW! What do you mean the baby...I would love to carry that around..haha lol.

Yeah, I can just see you now..."Donchoo be touchin' my bear :evil: " LOL

jbsstrawberry 09-05-2007 07:55 PM

Soooo cute!!! What a treasure of a pattern you found. I love finding those...you just know there is something special about a hand drawn pattern. Somebody put a lot of love into producing (or reproducing it). It just always seems that those are the best projects!! Kinda like when I make bread or biscuits in my antique mixing bowls. I believe some of the love from the previous owner/s helps make the food taste better.

Knot Sew 09-06-2007 03:54 AM

I found a resource for odd patterns in the simplicity pattern books. Look in the craft section of the book. I go when the patterns are on sale ; for a dollar or two. :D