Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   My personal "challenge" quilt: another leftovers quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/my-personal-challenge-quilt-another-leftovers-quilt-t240034.html)

justflyingin 01-31-2014 09:59 AM

My personal "challenge" quilt: another leftovers quilt

5 Attachment(s)
I am sometimes the happy recipient of other people's leftovers. One church in GA sent me some fabric and in with that fabric was a bunch of scraps that seemed to be coordinated. As I pulled all of the fabric out of the box, I saved out what seemed to be similar in color and touch (very, VERY nice feel to this fabric). Instead of throwing it in with my normal scrap/box, I put it all together in a ziploc bag and put it in my UFOs cabinet. I wanted to keep them together, and didn't know where else to put it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]459622[/ATTACH]

This week, I wanted to work on something but am not up to starting something really big like a bargello, intricate illusion quilt or something like that, so I began thinking about my UFOs. I opened the cabinet and pulled out this bag of stuff. I decided to do my own challenge quilt. [Note: I've never been sure of the purpose of a "challenge" quilt just for the purpose of accepting challenge, as I always have plenty of my own projects without someone else telling me what colors, etc to use--] :p

So, I challenged myself to make a quilt top out of these fabrics--I could add off white/cream to stretch it, but not add other fabrics/colors.

I had to sleep on it overnight.

I decided to go ahead and cut up the fabric into squares and strips, 4.5", 2.5" and 1.5". I decided no triangles as there is more waste with them and I needed all the fabric I could possibly come up in order to get a bed sized quilt. :D At least that is my story and I'm sticking to it!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]459623[/ATTACH]

I made as many small 4 patches out of the 1.5" strips as I could before I went to EQ to see what I could do.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]459625[/ATTACH]

I have always liked the simplicity of floating blocks of fabric and these fabrics are really pretty/nice, but found out quickly that I actually had more fabric than I would need for that simple style and I wanted to use it all up, so I came up with this design:

(I only floated the 2.5" squares):

[ATTACH=CONFIG]459624[/ATTACH]

I managed to use up almost every bit of fabric. I do have some scrappy 2.5" blocks that I made by sewing small pieces together.

And here's the top. Just finished. And almost no leftovers/scraps (OK, OK...there are a few, but not many, I promise!) In the end it looks more white than I envisioned on the computer, but it is fine and I am pleased.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]459626[/ATTACH]

It is queen sized---88x96"

nygal 01-31-2014 10:03 AM

Wow...you did a wonderful job of making it all into a pretty quilt . I really like your design.

Tiggersmom 01-31-2014 10:05 AM

Oh, it's lovely!!!!!! Great Job. :thumbup:

Quilterfay 01-31-2014 10:25 AM

You did great! did you use an EQ program to figure it out?

justflyingin 01-31-2014 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Quilterfay (Post 6546428)
You did great! did you use an EQ program to figure it out?

yes, I have EQ 6 but don't feel very competent on it. Am trying to change that this year (another one of my goals).

tuckyquilter 01-31-2014 10:37 AM

I do mostly Scrappy Quilting. Get blessed with all my friends leftovers. All the quilts I make with the scraps go back to the group for charity give away at the local hospital for terminally ill patients. And of course, there's always Bonnie Hunter to help me along with patterns for scraps. Dishpan, not just for doing dishes.. more for holding scraps separated by color. lol

triplerosa 01-31-2014 11:30 AM

love the patten, quilt came out beautiful

RedGarnet222 01-31-2014 11:53 AM

Wow! That is really a fabulous quilt. I love the pewter grey and red together. It has always been one of my favorite combinations

SusanSusan33 01-31-2014 11:56 AM

That is soo pretty! Made me smile wide!!

laurafet 01-31-2014 12:39 PM

Love it!! Mind if we use your pattern?