Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   My Quilt Board arrived...have you tried one? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/my-quilt-board-arrived-have-you-tried-one-t316118.html)

copycat 08-13-2021 02:43 AM

My Quilt Board arrived...have you tried one?

1 Attachment(s)
A member of our guild has been making no sew quilt boards. I ordered a 6" size quilt board from Missouri Star Quilt co. when they had free shipping. Has anyone tried making these? I watched the video on How-Tos provided by MSQ co. I included a picture of the quilt board I ordered. ...Now to choose the fabrics! Please share your tips if you have made one...Thanks!

thimblebug6000 08-13-2021 08:08 AM

Years ago we did a craft that looks kind of like that. We took a Styrofoam plate and drew the pattern on it, and used an Exacto knife to carve the lines, and then push the fabric pieces down into that. Is this product something similar?

Tartan 08-13-2021 08:50 AM

Everything old is new again. I think they look great for a sewing room wallhanging,

Ariannaquilts 08-13-2021 05:40 PM

Thimblebug I remember exactly what you’re talking about, it was fun to do.

copycat 08-14-2021 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 (Post 8501979)
Years ago we did a craft that looks kind of like that. We took a Styrofoam plate and drew the pattern on it, and used an Exacto knife to carve the lines, and then push the fabric pieces down into that. Is this product something similar?

Yes, thimblebug6000, the quilt board is similar to your project in that you push the fabric down into the board to make the block pattern. The difference is the lines are already carved for you.

Onebyone 08-14-2021 04:41 AM

These were popular years ago. My guild bought kits for it. Thick pink dense foam, red tracing paper, and the pattern to trace. There was hundreds of patterns to choose from on the website. Some were very intricate and not all quilt related. I can't remember what the website was though.

Karamarie 08-15-2021 05:08 AM

I also made one years ago. If I remember right, the pattern was printed on the styrofoam board and you just pushed the fabric into the premade foam board. It was fun to do.

Quiltwoman44 08-15-2021 07:30 AM

is it best to starch the fabrics before trying to push them into the board? I"ve not done this but have heard of problems with doing it crooked and not having enough "seam allowance" to stay in well.

copycat 08-16-2021 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by Quiltwoman44 (Post 8502253)
is it best to starch the fabrics before trying to push them into the board? I"ve not done this but have heard of problems with doing it crooked and not having enough "seam allowance" to stay in well.

The fabric should be ironed to remove the wrinkles if need be...but no starch necessary. There is sticky back adhesive to hold the fabric to the board and then you push the fabric into the pre-cut slots. A how to video by Missouri Star quilt co. is on their u-tube channel. I have yet to start making my quilt board yet but my friend who has done 4 now says..easy peasy.

juliasb 08-16-2021 05:42 AM

I remember doing something like this back in elementary school some 55 years ago. Yeah, they had Styrofoam back then. It was a girl scout project. What we did was not so easy to do as the foam did not like to cut straight.