Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   My Second Queensize Quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/my-second-queensize-quilt-t65277.html)

Elliotsgreatgrandma 09-19-2010 11:18 AM

That is a beautiful quilt. I have started a crazy quilt in deep and vivid clolors but had never thought of one in muted colors and white. Your quilt is just gorgeous and gave me a new dream quilt to make. Thank you for sharing. Gail

Pat G 09-19-2010 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by miss_ticky2
Hi, this is the second quilt I've made for our bed. I've been working on it the last few months and wanted a soft, sort of crazy style quilt and I'm happy with how it turned out. Amazing how even the uneven freemotion on the wide panel doesn't look too bad in pics...if you don't look too closely...lol. The borders are all stitched in the ditch.

One pic shows a bit closer up of some of the blocks. I did the blocks as a quilt-as-you-go, which was another learning experience as I've never done one before. But it was fairly easy.

Thanks for looking
Janice

Just beautiful. I love your soft colors.

Nanjun 09-19-2010 11:41 AM

beautiful quilt. Looks real expensive.

miss_ticky2 09-19-2010 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by campion
It's gorgeous and the quilting!!!! How did you do that on the border---never free motion

Thank you...and yes, that is free motion..if you look closely you will see it's not very even at all really...lol. I had to redo quite a few really bad spots and the rest I just decided to leave as is :).

Thank you everyone for your very kind comments. :)

SandyMac 09-19-2010 03:15 PM

your quilt is just so elegant. :-D

JoanneS 09-19-2010 03:32 PM

I agree with everyone - it's elegant! Your wonderful blending of fabrics and colors is what drew my eyes around the quilt - and the border quilting is a great complement to the crazy patchwork.

dgrindey 09-19-2010 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by miss_ticky2

Originally Posted by dgrindey
Beautiful quilt. Would you mind sharing the pattern with us?

Hi..and thanks. I wouldn't mind sharing the pattern at all..except, there isn't one :). It's something I made up radomly as I did each block. Sort of started with a random shape piece of fabric placed roughly in the centre of the block and stitched it straight onto the batting and backing and then proceeded to progressively add pieces to it, covering up raw edges as I went. Sometimes I pieced 2 pieces together and then sewed them onto the block, overlapping the previously sewn piece on the block. Sometimes it was a juggle to fit the pieces in and cover the last remaining raw edge and I had quite weird shaped blocks until I trimmed it back to the block size.

Sorry if I'm not explaining it very well.

You are very talented and your explanation was fine. Thanks so much

SaraSewing 09-19-2010 03:49 PM

So to connect the blocks, I'm thinking: You sewed the front top layers together, then hand stitched the backs?

miss_ticky2 09-19-2010 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by SaraSewing
So to connect the blocks, I'm thinking: You sewed the front top layers together, then hand stitched the backs?

Yes, that's pretty much what I did. Took a lot of patience because I hate hand sewing, but I didn't want any top stitching on the top so I had to take a deep breath and just do the hand sewing...lol.

SaraSewing 09-19-2010 05:25 PM

I learned a similar technique many many years ago on a log cabin quilt done completely on the machine. The forgot to mention all the handstitching on the back, and I hated that part!