Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   My sewing desk find and sewing room (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/my-sewing-desk-find-sewing-room-t82364.html)

loves2quilt 12-12-2010 01:08 PM

8 Attachment(s)
When my daughter moved out I took over her room, 8x 10, very small. I had a board over the top of 2 bookcases that I put my machine on and it just wasnt working so I started to look for a desk. I found this one for $35. After I got it home it sat in my dining room for about a month. Everyone that looked at it said uh-huh, no way, Im not carrying that thing up those stairs! lol. So I thought, you know what, I dont use my dining room anyway, there are just 2 of us here and I have a table in my kitchen. So I took the kitchen table and dining room chairs and put them in the garage and moved the dining room table and the china hutch into the kitchen. Then brought all my things from upstairs and put them in my new sewing room. I love my new desk, its big, has alot of drawers and has a slider that pulls out where I store whatever machine Im not using. I think it is supposed to pull out and lift up but I cant get it to lift. Anyway, heres my new to me desk and my sewing room.

lots of storage here!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]142281[/ATTACH]

wood box great for keeping things handy and for my drinks so I dont knock them over
[ATTACH=CONFIG]142282[/ATTACH]

barbsmith 12-12-2010 01:10 PM

Looks great! Is that a Singer 401 that I see sitting on your new desk?

frugalfabrics 12-12-2010 01:10 PM

Love that desk...I think that's the kind that use to hold the old/heavy typewriters...it's found a new life with your sewing machine. Nice find.

ktbb 12-12-2010 01:12 PM

looks great...you have an old secretary's desk. The sliding platform is where the typewriter was to be placed and you're right - it should lift up...may need some WD-40 on the slide/hinges. Because it was for a typewrite, it's not deep enough to have a sewing machine stand up....as you obviously have learned.

erstan947 12-12-2010 01:12 PM

Way to go. I believe in using the rooms in my house for what I do not necessarily what they were built for. Good job. Love the desk.

craftybear 12-12-2010 01:13 PM

love your new desk and sewing room,

Congratulations!

tutty 12-12-2010 01:14 PM

You have a lot more room I'm sure ! I used my dining room table (husband has office in the "dining room") in my sewing room and use both sides , one for office and other side for cutting etc. Then I bought a small , what we call Lord's table , it is lower than dining or kitchen table and have a plastic sewing extension table and it is a great height to sew from ! Enjoy ! I sure do mine.

loves2quilt 12-12-2010 01:15 PM

Barb its a 301A and I love it, I rarely use my other one now, this baby goes so much faster! And ktbb, Ill have to try the WD-40. The desk is made by Leopold in Burlington, Iowa.

shequilts 12-12-2010 01:18 PM

Great place. I see lots of potential for productivity.

TN Donna 12-12-2010 01:21 PM

Great space. Enjoy