Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   My sisters Wedding Gown (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/my-sisters-wedding-gown-t24602.html)

joeyoz 08-24-2009 07:34 PM

2 Attachment(s)
This is my sister who just passed away in July. I will be making a memory quilt from her wedding gown and the bridesmaid dresses. The beading and embroidery are beautiful. Unfortunately she passed from cancer 12 days after these photos were taken. If anyone has any ideas for pattern I would love to hear from you. I am going to unsew the dresses to try to keep the integrity of the beading and embroidery. The train will be used in the center. After that I just draw a blank.

BlueChicken 08-24-2009 07:43 PM

I am so sorry for your loss, that must be so very very hard.

Your sister looked absolutely beautiful, and the dresses are stunning.

The pattern that sprung to mind for me is something like the irish chain, that works really well in two colours, with large spaces to decorate with quilting, or in this case, to show off the beading work.

joeyoz 08-24-2009 07:44 PM

BlueChicken, that's a great idea. I love Irish Chain quilts. Thank you.

BlueChicken 08-24-2009 07:56 PM

You're welcome.... good luck with the sewing, it will be incredibly emotional for you but soooooo worthwhile.

I've seen an irish chain done in white and burgundy, and it was stunning. It had large blocks, so there was very intricate quilting in the spaces, and it was just beautiful. With the embroidery and beading you have to work with, it would be perfectly set off in the spaces.

Mind you... now my mind is ticking over and there are hundreds of ideas floating around. lol

The right one for you will jump out, it will just feel totally right, you'll have no questions about it.

Good luck :-)

((hugs))

Esqmommy 08-24-2009 08:38 PM

Was this from a vow-renewal ceremony? Perhaps you can also incorporate her original gown?? Or is this it?

So sorry about your sister. I think the idea to use this for a quilt is wonderful. Are you going to keep it, or will it go to her husband?

Lisa T 08-24-2009 08:57 PM

Oh, I am so sorry for your loss. I would miss my own sister so much. Your sister looked beautiful and I hope she had a very special day, and also that you have wonderful memories of that day, as well as her husband.

These dresses are beautiful and I love Blue's idea!

sharon b 08-24-2009 08:58 PM

I have no sugestions for a quilt , but wanted to say the dresses are beautiful as is your sister . Again Sorry for your loss, it is so sad when they go way too soon
Sharon

Celeste 08-25-2009 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by Lisa T
Oh, I am so sorry for your loss. I would miss my own sister so much. Your sister looked beautiful and I hope she had a very special day, and also that you have wonderful memories of that day, as well as her husband.

These dresses are beautiful and I love Blue's idea!

Ditto.

NorBanaquilts 08-25-2009 02:38 AM

Sorry for your loss, The dress will make a beautifl quilt

bebe 08-25-2009 03:59 AM

How about a crazy quilt or a memory cut up the pieces add other fabrics and embelishmnts. You can make a couple of wall hangings and add a few more of her belongings, and some pictures. Keep a wall hanging for yourself and give the others to her close family mambers. You can embelish with beads, sequins use velvet and other fabrics and do some fancy stiching by machine or hand.
Great to see she was happy before she passed away. Sorry for your lost :(