Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   My Splendid Sampler blocks so far. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/my-splendid-sampler-blocks-so-far-t278743.html)

tesspug 05-17-2016 01:39 PM

My Splendid Sampler blocks so far.

1 Attachment(s)
I have most of the first 27 out of 100 blocks of The Splendid Sampler. The blue and yellow star is a block I inherited from a friend. Auditioning the chevron fabric as sashing. I think I like it but might put in cornerstones.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]550217[/ATTACH]

glassbird 05-17-2016 01:55 PM

Well, not sure if you want opinions on the chevron fabric, but here is mine! If I had to choose between those fabrics, I would go with the green...but...the blocks should be the star of the show and they are already very detailed (and wonderful). Putting a busy fabric around them sort of makes it harder to see them. I personally would go with a plain fabric, maybe in green, but it will be easier to make that choice when you have some more done. Now I am off to learn more about this sampler! Nice!

suern3 05-17-2016 02:01 PM

Beautiful blocks. I agree with glassbird, they deserve to the star of the show! Chevrons seem too busy, IMHO.

QM 05-17-2016 02:01 PM

Those really are splendid sampler blocks. Of the choices you gave, my preference would be the green, but I probably would prefer a tone on tone. Are you going to have a pug in there too?

lynnie 05-17-2016 03:13 PM

love them, and those birds are so cool!

M.Elizabeth 05-17-2016 03:21 PM

I have been saving the patterns for these blocks, although I haven't started yet. It is another item on my bucket list. And, I do agree with others: the chevrons are a little busy for your blocks.

NoraB 05-18-2016 08:21 AM

Beautiful blocks. I'm proud of you for keeping up and getting them done. I haven't even started, but now, you've inspired me!

tesspug 05-18-2016 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by glassbird (Post 7552260)
Well, not sure if you want opinions on the chevron fabric, but here is mine! If I had to choose between those fabrics, I would go with the green...but...the blocks should be the star of the show and they are already very detailed (and wonderful). Putting a busy fabric around them sort of makes it harder to see them. I personally would go with a plain fabric, maybe in green, but it will be easier to make that choice when you have some more done. Now I am off to learn more about this sampler! Nice!

Thanks, I did want opinions. I only have 1/2 yards of each cut so was thinking of using all and mixing them up. I agree it is very busy with the chevron. But I don't have any solids and wanted to use my stash.

Bluebonnets 05-18-2016 09:58 AM

Lovely blocks! I also agree the green is great and the chevrons are too busy for the wonderful blocks.

ManiacQuilter2 05-18-2016 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by suern3 (Post 7552262)
Beautiful blocks. I agree with glassbird, they deserve to the star of the show! Chevrons seem too busy, IMHO.

I agree too. The chevron is a little busy for being the sashing. The green looks the best, the other colors sort of blend into the blocks. You want your blocks to be the star of this quilt.