Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   My Texas Wildflower Quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/my-texas-wildflower-quilt-t114248.html)

quiltykitty 04-07-2011 09:30 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Some of you wanted to see my Texas Wildflower quilt I mentioned in the topic I posted about the bluebonnets that are blooming here at the dam. This was made in 2007 and won 1st prize in the Mixed Media and Viewer's Choice. This is the only one I kept of the over 50 quilts I have made. I have two more to make for grandsons and all my 8 kids, 24 GKs, and 10 GGKs will have a quilt made by me, with my late DH's help.

All the animals, insects, and birds are embroideried either by me or were bought. But, at least 85% were done by me. I used the technique taught by Nancy Prince for burning away the stabilizer with a woodburning tool. All of the embroidery was added to the top by machine with invisible thread. I also did some shading with paints on some of the leaves and grass.

I didn't start out to have this much on the quilt. The original was just supposed to be the flowers, sky, and tree. But, that looked plain to me, so, I stated adding stuff and couldn't quit. The same thing happened when I made my daughter's Offshore Accout quilt, the undersea theme quilt.

Oh, that's a queen sized bed.

What I wished my backyard looked like
[ATTACH=CONFIG]180844[/ATTACH]

My duck pond, actually, mine is a Koi pond
[ATTACH=CONFIG]180845[/ATTACH]

I have never seen any owls near my place, but had to put one on here
[ATTACH=CONFIG]180847[/ATTACH]

My purple martin houses, I do have two houses, but haven't had martins the last two years
[ATTACH=CONFIG]180848[/ATTACH]

My chickens, really don't have any. All those little chicks were done individually and then sewn to quilt top
[ATTACH=CONFIG]180849[/ATTACH]

zennia 04-07-2011 09:36 AM

WOW-Beautiful.

misseva 04-07-2011 09:37 AM

Ohhhhhh beautiful!!! I've got to put one like that on my 'to do' list. Was this a panel that you cut up?

lbaillie 04-07-2011 09:37 AM

Just wonderful, wow and I thought I had a big family!!

gaigai 04-07-2011 09:38 AM

Wow! That is beautiful, and deserved to win!

quiltykitty 04-07-2011 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by misseva
Ohhhhhh beautiful!!! I've got to put one like that on my 'to do' list. Was this a panel that you cut up?

No panel. There is a wildflower fabric out there at quilt stores. I used it and lots of embroidery.

sharoney 04-07-2011 09:40 AM

Gorgeous quilt! I just bought some of that same Texas wildflower fabric for backing for a Texas quilt that I'm currently working on. It's SOOO pretty!- the fabric, that is.

Scrap Happy 04-07-2011 09:41 AM

WOW! It's beautiful :thumbup: This is one of those quilts I could look at over and over again and still keep finding something new.

RedGarnet222 04-07-2011 09:41 AM

Wow How sweet this quilt is. I love all of the little surprises that are pictured in it. How fun!

scrappy happy 04-07-2011 09:42 AM

beautiful, you have done lots of work on that quilt. just beautiful