Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   My try at the jelly roll quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/my-try-jelly-roll-quilt-t52318.html)

magnolia 07-01-2010 02:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Now that summer school is winding down I decided to start quilting again. I have a few projects I should be working on, but I wanted a sense of fulfillment; like I got a lot done. So I decided to try the jelly roll quilt method somebody posted a tutorial for. I bought the jelly roll at Joann's a couple weeks ago for half off. I only paid $12. I also found the roll had 50 strips in it. I was unsure of the colors but decided to go ahead with it, since I was just testing out the method. I also have a LOT of quilts to make for Christmas and none of them are even started yet. They may all be made from this method, just to get them made. After all, I have 19 units next semester at school, my last semester before the credential program, and will not have a lot of free time. I will also be interning at the Autism center on campus. So I decided to break the Jelly Roll into two sets and make two tops. So each will have 25 strips. I made the first one today and was amazed how fast it was. It only took me 2 hours and 15 minutes. I have not added borders yet. It finished at 34X62 inches. Each strip was about 42-44 inches. The colors are pink, brown, and turquoise. Also, for someone who has never worked with batiks I have to say it was a little tricky making sure I paired the right sides together.

Sorry, I keep posting almost all of the projects I make. I get excited :oops: If you get tired of looking at them just let me know. Thanks for looking.

Jelly Roll Quilt-Colors are better in person
[ATTACH=CONFIG]84268[/ATTACH]

lisainmo 07-01-2010 03:01 PM

That looks great..I also just put the one together that is like a chevron..the problem is I am scared to death to cut it to put it together..haha...the piecing was a breeze with the jelly roll but not sure about the rest.

quiltinghere 07-01-2010 03:08 PM

Your quilt is very cute!

I'm starting to really like the idea of these Jelly Roll quilts...sounds like the perfect project for the middle of the night - I can't sleep - don't want to wake anyone (including the dog).

Only problem I would have is rolling over - thinking about sewing and then getting up to sew! YIKES talk about sleepless nights!

AshleyO 07-01-2010 03:14 PM

Very nice!! I never get tired of pics!!

dkabasketlady 07-01-2010 03:31 PM

Great job! We love pics & more pics!!

ktbb 07-01-2010 03:32 PM

Magnolia, it should be easier next time you do batiks to remember that there is no wrong side (usually).

nativetexan 07-01-2010 03:34 PM

ha!!! i bought those same jelly roll fabrics.
i had some batik charms that i added strips to so they would be a larger block. sewed them all together and added a border. Still had those strips left over! so i took two blocks that were extras and added strips until they make 20 inch squares. large enough to be a pillow and the quilt top will now be a "Quillow".
still have some strips left over though!! hmmm.i may add them somewhere in the backing.
some of the strips were difficult to stitch through. my needle went thunk,thunk through those. pink and the teal ones and then the border fabric i already had.
maybe that was the dying process that caused that.

katmom54 07-01-2010 03:44 PM

nice job...and the pics are what i come here for...keep posting:)

Pineapple Princess 07-01-2010 03:54 PM

Very pretty!

sandpat 07-01-2010 03:56 PM

Great job...don't ever stop posting pics!!!