Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   My very first quilt top (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/my-very-first-quilt-top-t6624.html)

tlrnhi 04-28-2008 10:19 PM

I like it!
Love purple!!

Celeste 04-29-2008 12:42 AM

I agree, your Mom's gonna love it!

amma 04-29-2008 11:11 AM

I like it! I like how the one patch disappears into the sashing, it adds interest..... mistakes in our minds can make interesting designs :D

Knot Sew 04-29-2008 03:25 PM

That came out very nice good job........all the quilting ideas suggested are good . A wonderful Mothers day gift :D

imaquilter 04-29-2008 03:38 PM

Awesome job! I even see points in the right place. You did a great job!

auntshamaine 04-29-2008 03:54 PM

Oh, thank you guys so much!!!! You know how you think you're doing okay, but you feel kind of scared for others to look. I SSSOOOO apprecatiate you all taking time to comment......

Ima....I tried very had to get those points there. Thanks for noticing....

Ruth, Celeste, Barb and MG....I really do think my mom will and I thank you for saying so. You know you feel very attached to this first one. I'm sure you remember. So "gifting" the first is extra special I think.....

Barb & Harmony, I was thinking along your lines. Maybe in the ditch for the blocks and around the seam for the other areas. I think the sashing is narrow enough to only do the 1/4 inch on each side. And then maybe something nice in outer borders. Thanks for the ideas.

As for the rest, amma, tlrnhi, shadow, Strawberrry, Turtle, henry>>>> thanks so much for the compliments!!!

Tracy

lin 04-29-2008 04:33 PM

auntshamaine, that's a beautiful first quilt!! Bravo girl. :thumbup: I love the colors, your piecing is really good, and I too love how that one little part of the flying geese falls into the background. Sometimes an "oops" can turn into a really neat, and unexpected design!

I agree with the others on the quilting. I think keeping it simple is best to start, and besides, it's busy enough and so colorful that a more complicated design might just get lost in there anyway. No matter what you choose to do, she's going to loooooove this! :)

Celeste 06-25-2008 05:24 PM

Did you get pictures when you gave it to her?

Marcia 06-25-2008 06:06 PM

Tracy-Your sampler quilt is just beautiful and your mother is going to love it!! It is perfect and I would not have changed a thing about it. It looks like you planned it all out before you began. Great first quilt!!!!!

I would quilt it by stitching 1/4" away from the seam, or in the ditch for the blocks. The borders always hang me up.

I have been quilting for 9 years and I still learn something new from every single quilt I make (and sometines I make the same mistake twice so I don't always learn really well!)

DJ 06-25-2008 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by auntshamaine
Before I started I had no idea where fabrics would go or what they would do. I learned a very good lesson right off the bat when my squares had the same color as my sashing and they seem to disappear like in the flying geese block.

That's a very interesting effect though, don't you think? Nice work!