Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   My Waterloo (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/my-waterloo-t321370.html)

lindaschipper 08-22-2023 06:07 AM

My Waterloo

1 Attachment(s)
Like Napoleon Bonaparte, this quilt was my Waterloo. If anything could go wrong it did. Thought this was going to be a simple pattern I'd found on Pinterest with sizes given (but not named) for cutting the jelly roll. I used Gypsy Soul. Not sure where or how I went wrong, but to even it out I had to cut almost 2 1/2 inches off the sides to square the corners up. Not good! Quilting was done in a loop-d-loop and even it ended up with a small bubble ot two. Maybe once it's washed and crinkles up a bit they won't be so noticeable (at least to me). The backing is the popular bicycle print in coordinating colors. Husband said I made up a few new cuss words while working on it. I think he's hearing things!
It willl go to Project Linus...maybe there is a tall skinny girl that needs a bit of cheer.

ekuw 08-22-2023 06:52 AM

Every so often we make a quilt that almost gets the better of us right? In the end you made it work and it is a lovely quilt. Tall & Skinny might work for a twin size bed quilt so don't think it won't find a home. I encountered similar issued working on a quilt called "magic box" a quilt pattern by Donna Jordan/Jordan Fabrics. I used the strip tube ruler for the first time and what they don't tell you is it's simply not a matter of just flipping the ruler over and cutting again. You have to move it over so you can get a square, thus waste. Couple that with I cut the neutral strips wider than they should have been. Didn't end up with as many blocks as the pattern called for. Argh! At any rate I finished it and it is long and skinny too. Will eventually post a picture after I quilt it.

dunster 08-22-2023 07:45 AM

I just finished the top on a quilt that presented all kinds of problems, so I understand your pain. However the quilt is really beautiful. The way you've laid out the colors looks like a landscape. I'm sure the recipient will love it.

toogie 08-22-2023 07:56 AM

I like it and no one will be the wiser that so much had to be cut off. Love the fabric line too. Great job!

materialworld 08-22-2023 07:59 AM

I really like this quilt! Even with its challenges, I think it's a sweet finish. Nice work!

LAF2019 08-22-2023 02:51 PM

I think it looks great!!

Sync 08-22-2023 03:02 PM

Looks fantastic, very cheerful

Quiltwoman44 08-22-2023 05:39 PM

Ha, ha! some quilts are like that. At least, that is my excuse! lovely quilt anyway. Someone will love it!

SueZQ from MN 08-23-2023 12:14 AM

It is very striking and no one else will ever know. What is important is the love that goes with it to some lucky child.

KalamaQuilts 08-23-2023 04:56 AM

I love it! We are traveling so I'm tasked with working with what I've kitted up. I worked all summer on my kits, and so far they've all been missing something ... good thing I like to think outside the box.

We should work up a quilt swap, I'll bet we'd all be crazy about the quilt the maker didn't like. After all, who makes quilts for quilters?