Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Mystery Quilt material (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/mystery-quilt-material-t83870.html)

GrandmK 12-19-2010 09:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I tryed to put this in the topic about it but can not figure out how to do it so I am doing it this way. This is the materials I found in my stash for the quilt. I would like your opinion and would purchase some new if anyone had suggestions as to what would look better. I am very challenged in this area.

My mystery quilt material
[ATTACH=CONFIG]145158[/ATTACH]

maryb119 12-19-2010 09:59 AM

First question is how many fabrics do you need for the mystery quilt? then I would take out the dusty pink print and replace is with a deeper blue marble fabric. I think the rest will be fine because anytime I have done a mystery, contrast it the big thing in chosing fabric. It take contrasting colors to have the design show up the way it should.

LovinMySoldier 12-19-2010 10:01 AM

Those look good :) I think you need 2 more. Maybe a white or a black and then another color

hobo2000 12-19-2010 10:07 AM

I would replace the dusty rose with either a black or white for contrast. I think the white would really make it pop.

Short an Sweet 12-19-2010 10:09 AM

good start on your color choices (there are 9? fabrics needed), I love the orange (I'm real partial to orange lol)I posted the link to your pics on the Mystery quilt page

franie 12-19-2010 10:11 AM

Hmmmm that is a challenge!

JudyG 12-19-2010 10:14 AM

You need a total of 9 fabrics, including your focus. In addition to the deeper blue that maryb suggested, I think a light pink, a white tone on tone, and a black would round out these colors beautifully.

Originally Posted by maryb119
First question is how many fabrics do you need for the mystery quilt? then I would take out the dusty pink print and replace is with a deeper blue marble fabric. I think the rest will be fine because anytime I have done a mystery, contrast it the big thing in chosing fabric. It take contrasting colors to have the design show up the way it should.

Candace 12-19-2010 10:23 AM

I tend to like prints rather than solids when co-ordinating fabrics. Do you have any prints in the same color way as the solids?

Sadiemae 12-19-2010 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Candace
I tend to like prints rather than solids when co-ordinating fabrics. Do you have any prints in the same color way as the solids?

I am like this also! I really like prints, but it is just my personal preference.

mysikaanne 12-19-2010 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by GrandmK
I tryed to put this in the topic about it but can not figure out how to do it so I am doing it this way. This is the materials I found in my stash for the quilt. I would like your opinion and would purchase some new if anyone had suggestions as to what would look better. I am very challenged in this area.

I think a background of cream or an off white, with the inner border a black would be a nice addition. I tend to agree with the use a small print that 'looks' solid. The pink and yellow stand out just a little, try and see if you can find a little softer yellow or pink. (or maybe a small print in those colors would take the spotlight off of those two. I hope this helps. You've done a great job in getting the colors from the focus, just need to ' fine tune' it. :)

Hugs,
Missy