Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Native American rock art panel (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/native-american-rock-art-panel-t286718.html)

CanoePam 03-10-2017 09:34 PM

Native American rock art panel

3 Attachment(s)
I fell in love with this panel the first time I saw it! I finally got it quilted. I used a fusible batting, hoping it wouldn't shrink, but it did just a little. The top thread is Invisifil from Superior Threads and the bottom is a SuperBob pre-wound, also from Superior Threads. I just did outline quilting around the figures, then bound it in black. The quilting shows up better on the back. I think I would have gone blind on this without the help,of my new LED light strip. That Invisifil is hard to see (duh).

Sorry for the pictures being in the wrong order. The last one is the complete wall hanging, the first is a detail, and the second is the back.

Pam

QM 03-10-2017 10:14 PM

What a wonderful quilt! I love this panel.

QM 03-10-2017 10:16 PM

What a wonderful quilt! I love this petroglyph panel. Where did you get it?

QuiltnNan 03-11-2017 04:08 AM

very nicely done

twinkie 03-11-2017 05:08 AM

WOW that is so different. Was that outline quilting?

QUILTNMO 03-11-2017 06:34 AM

very nice job!!!

CanoePam 03-11-2017 06:37 AM

The panel is from Stonehenge Fabrics by Northcott. I found it at the HMQS show in Salt Lake City just under a year ago. And yes, all I did was outline the figures with the invisible thread. I like the panel too much to do anything that would take away from the rock art. I am pretty sure it is going in my formal living room. I think it will be a nice focal point.

Chris Anders 03-11-2017 06:38 AM

Nicely Done!

feline fanatic 03-11-2017 07:46 AM

Very nice, I can see why you fell in love with the panel it is very interesting.

Just to clarify your reference to the threads used....Invisifil is made by a Canadian Company called Wonderfil. Superior did start making a knockoff product called Microquilter. I suspect they started to notice how many people were using Invisifil and wanted to take a bite out of the market with their own version. Both threads are 100wt polyester.

I have not tried Superiors Microquilter but I absolutely love Wonderfil's Invisifil and actually like every thread Wonderfil makes that I have sampled so far. Their thread is not easy to find, except on line or at shows that Wonderfil attends but is well worth the effort to seek their products out. And the owners, Andrew and Fiona are absolutely delightful people.

CanoePam 03-11-2017 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic (Post 7782049)
Very nice, I can see why you fell in love with the panel it is very interesting.

Just to clarify your reference to the threads used....Invisifil is made by a Canadian Company called Wonderfil. Superior did start making a knockoff product called Microquilter. I suspect they started to notice how many people were using Invisifil and wanted to take a bite out of the market with their own version. Both threads are 100wt polyester.

I have not tried Superiors Microquilter but I absolutely love Wonderfil's Invisifil and actually like every thread Wonderfil makes that I have sampled so far. Their thread is not easy to find, except on line or at shows that Wonderfil attends but is well worth the effort to seek their products out. And the owners, Andrew and Fiona are absolutely delightful people.

Thank you so much for the correction! I was wrong about the thread. I used MonoPoly from Superior Threads. It is not the same as the Microquilter which has real colors. The MonoPoly is a clear thread(though it also comes in a smoke color). I actually had the spool because I took a class in appliqué that had it as part of the kit. I don't do dense quilting, but I will have to give Wonderfil threads try some time. I have heard good things about them.