Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Navajo Quilt top (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/navajo-quilt-top-t274848.html)

Ada Shiela 01-22-2016 01:10 PM

Navajo Quilt top

2 Attachment(s)
Thank you Dina for your quilt colour suggestions posted April 2015, I fell in love with them. Tradition with a Twist book by Blanche Young & her sister. This is the easiest Bargello pattern I've come across. However the finished size was too long for my DB so removed 4 rows=14" and still sits over the pillows nicely.
I carefully cut out strip sets ensuring prints in one direction only to find that the final Step 8 of construction said "Note: 3 strip sets will be turned upside down to line up correctly". Well, my oatmeal print with little ladies' heads on suddenly turned upside down so I had to unpick 42" across the whole top and reverse those pieces individually! I couldn't have ladies sitting on their heads!

Then to top it all off, my daughter said she can only quilt 90" width because her husband shortened the length of the rods on her mid-arm because the frame didn't fit into her sewing room so 2 more strips either side of the quit top had to be removed so as to allow for the borders.

2 weeks sourcing fabrics, 2 days cutting and sewing strip set units; 2 days sub-cutting and 5 days setting the top together, plus 3 days unpicking and replacing segments; otherwise I thoroughly enjoyed making this quilt and recommend it to everyone else.

A word of warning though; do not cut out all sub-cuts as per instructions; stop at about the 3/4 mark because I have enough strip sets left over to make a single bed/wall hanging or blind quilt top too! I'm half way through putting that together now and luckily have enough fabric left in case I need to add to the left overs.[ATTACH=CONFIG]540833[/ATTACH]

lynnie 01-22-2016 01:32 PM

fantastic colors. great design!

marilynr 01-22-2016 01:39 PM

Love your color combination.

Tartan 01-22-2016 01:46 PM

​Great quilt top!

ManiacQuilter2 01-22-2016 02:22 PM

The Turquoise colors really pop with the other colors being neutral. Very nicely done. I hope he likes it with all the ripping you had to do.

Monale 01-22-2016 02:33 PM

Beautiful! This quilt is on my bucket list!

ctyankee 01-22-2016 02:43 PM

Love your chosen colors! Such a beautiful quilt! You called it a bargello, but when I first saw it, I thought it was a Trip Around the World. I have the original book printed in the 80s (?) and, yes, there is a pattern for rectangles in it. Well, whatever it's called -- & it's your quilt, you can call it anything you want -- it is certainly a beauty! Great job!

Prekteacher 01-22-2016 02:45 PM

Love your quilt. I am currently working on one called Navajo that I got from quilters cashe. By the time I am through, I will have 840 half square triangles. The thought makes me tired. Yours looks so much easier!

Quilter 65 01-22-2016 03:00 PM

Very pretty and enjoyed your narrative.

Mariposa 01-22-2016 03:01 PM

Terrific top, and great colors~