Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   need help with "diamonds" (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/need-help-%22diamonds%22-t58257.html)

quilting.addict 08-07-2010 08:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I'll try to explain my predicament, hoping some of you can help out. I am working on my first doll quilt. Thought I would experiment with an idea I had for a big quilt. I strip pieced 2 " strips (9 of them). Then I cut them on a 60 degree cut (I think I should have done 45, but too late for that!!) I staggered the new strips, like you would Trip around the World. Pretty pattern, but all the bottoms of the strips are tapered. How am I going to get a straight edge at the bottom and top????? Now that I think about it, I worked on a group quilt at guild and this method made a big star in the center of a quilt...duh!!

assembly of doll quilt ???
[ATTACH=CONFIG]93179[/ATTACH]

Prism99 08-07-2010 09:49 AM

I think you need to "unsew" a seam in each strip so the bottoms are even, then sew what you take off to the other end of each strip. After that, you can trim top and bottom so they are straight across. This is similar to a common strip-piecin method used for Around the World quilt patterns.

Aunt Retta 08-07-2010 09:56 AM

I love this idea! It gave me a few ideas of my own! A possible way to use the noodles from the noodle exchange?
How does that around the World pattern finish off the ends!

All Thumbs 08-07-2010 09:57 AM

Hum-m-m, I am not too sure about this one. I do not see how the angle cut can be equally divided even with cutting a diamond in half at the bottom and top... Got to think about this one a while. The Round the World quilts I have seen and made are straight cuts leading to staggering and unsewing sections. It will interesting to watch this thread to see the ideas given.

Deb watkins 08-07-2010 10:31 AM

I really like your fabric colors and layout! I am just too chicken to try something like that.

AlienQuilter 08-07-2010 10:56 AM

Any chance you could just make a complete "tube" then just cut straight across? Never done this before, just trying to help brainstorm! Let us know how you solve it.

quilting.addict 08-07-2010 04:29 PM

ok, have spent some more time trying to figure this out...if I make it into a large diamond shape, how can I fill in around the sides of the diamond to make it a rectangle???? hmmm

MZStitch 08-07-2010 04:42 PM

I have an idea. How about if you cut some white pieces. Pick one diagonal row to be the final row, lets say for example the blue faerie fabric. Have each row end with that, then add white blocks (or any solid color) to all the rows making them as close to even as possible. Then cut it even with the last faerie piece. So you will have a white area at the bottom left, and top right?

All Thumbs 08-07-2010 04:58 PM

Ah yes, MZStitch, that would balance it out. Great idea!

KellyPA 08-07-2010 05:00 PM

Ok, if I am understanding correctly what you would like to do, my suggestion.....sew the strips together as is and then rotary cut the bottom and the top to make them straight. I may have completely misunderstood what you were asking, if so, just ignore me!

Anyway I think it's pretty!