Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Need Help...First Quilt Mistakes! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/need-help-first-quilt-mistakes-t179296.html)

Jannie 02-15-2012 06:55 PM

I layer my quilts on the living room carpet all the time. First lay the back down with wrong side up and using T-pins pin it to the carpet. (I have hardwood floors under the carpet so I angle my pins so I don't hit the floor.) I put 1 pin in the top & then go to the bottom & put 1 pin in. If there is a seam or a stripe I try to use that to keep it square. Now pin the rest of the top & then the bottom. The sides will be pinned next My T-pins are 6 to 8 inches a part making sure a pin is in each corner. Lay the batting on top of the backing. Now lay the top with right side up on the batting and pin it thru all 3 layers just like you did the back. Do not remove the pins from the back until the top is pinned completely. Using your safety pins, pin all layers together for quilting. Pins should be about 4 to 6 inches (a fist width) a part. I tend to over pin. Now you can remove the T-pins and close the safety pins. Using a crochet hook or spoon is helpful in closing the pins. You can now go to your machine and start quilting or put it in a hoop and hand quilt. I love the poly battings. I think it makes it more cuddly and not so heavy. BTW, I think your quilt is adorable and for a 1st you did a great job. Also a walking foot is a great asset.

janetter 02-15-2012 07:12 PM

It is a WONDERFUL Quilt. Not to worry about the overstiching of the stitch in the ditch part. The other thing i do is use basting spray my last two quilts were so much easier this way and COTTON batting makes a huge difference. Congrats and keep having fun.

jeanharville 02-15-2012 07:20 PM

I think it's adorable and if the baby quilt I'm working on now turns out this well, I going to be doing the happy dance!!

KathyPhillips 02-15-2012 08:07 PM

If you have access to a church or school that you could use their tables and push a couple together, that would be great. Tape them down on all sides while you pin.

QM 02-15-2012 08:14 PM

Yours is WAY better than my first quilt. I don't use the spray because of asthma, but it might be OK in a very well ventilated place. Like Quilting Crazie, I pin baste on a large table, or on several tables of the community center, all pushed together. Using painters' or masking tape hols the backing in place while you do the pinning. If you quilt everything else, but not the border, it will tend to be a bit wavy. As Jan said, without a LA to force everything to stay together, most poly battings tend to shift around. I use Thermore (c) batting which is very dense, thinner and tends to grab the cotton.

Rose Burnett 02-16-2012 10:04 PM

I think you did a great job on your quilt.....both the piecing and the quilting. Your grandchild will love it and won't notice the puckers.

BETTY62 02-16-2012 10:29 PM

I think your quilt turned out great. Your grandchild will love and treasure it forever. I hope that you added a label indicating that you made it especially for him or her, your name and the date.

kelsunshine 02-16-2012 11:06 PM

I have labels for when I make handmade clothing that have made espescially for you by with my name, but how do you label a quilt? I'm still a newbie at quilting :)

pdcakm 02-17-2012 12:29 AM

have you washed it yet? generally after it is washed the small problems will no longer show. besides it will be loved by the child because you made it. my first two quilts for my granddaughters were really bad, when compared to what i do today. they are teenagers now and still love their little quilts for covering their feet while watching tv.
the work you have done looks great. really it does. don't be so critical of yourself.

Pat Grant 02-17-2012 07:39 AM

Spray basting

I am an absolute believer of spray basting. It really holds the layers in place perfectly. I only use cotton batting and have had no problems. If you have a few wrinkles - it's OK. You are going to get wrinkles when you wash it anyway. Adds character!