Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Need help with making Quilt pattern (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/need-help-making-quilt-pattern-t133556.html)

Julia 06-27-2011 11:43 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Can someone make a pattern from this Quilt as I would like to duplicate it.
This Quilt was made sometime before Aug 1854 by my 3rd great grandmother Celia King Schrock. She was born in 1796 in South Carolina and died 20 Aug. 1854 in Matagorda County, Texas. So she made this Quilt sometime between these dates. The quilt is still in our family. Celia died her own fabrics.

If you notice there is 10 points to her stars. Thats where my difficulty comes in to making a pattern.

Can someone help

Schrock Quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]217624[/ATTACH]

Schrock Quilt 1
[ATTACH=CONFIG]217625[/ATTACH]

Schrock Quilt 2
[ATTACH=CONFIG]217626[/ATTACH]

Mae 06-27-2011 11:49 AM

It looks like something that would have to be paper-pieced as there would be biases all over the place.

What size is the block? And the diameter of the circles?

erstan947 06-27-2011 11:49 AM

At first glance I would do it with paper Piecing. Maybe someone with the Equilter program can help. Way out of my skill level. Beautiful quilt:)

Airwick156 06-27-2011 11:49 AM

That is ONE BEAUTIFUL quilt. I really like the browns and oranges. Someone will come along I am sure and be able to help you out. Good Luck.

Central Ohio Quilter 06-27-2011 11:52 AM

One way to do it, which is probably not the best way, but what I would try - take your pictures of the quilt block, blow it up to full size of what you want your blocks to be. Make several copies. Start cutting out the pieces and add a seam allowance. You should have a fairly accurate pattern to use.

Probably there is some ruler to buy, or a pattern to buy, but I would try my method first!

deelost 06-27-2011 11:57 AM

Sounds like it would work! I'm going to keep that in my mental rolodex for future use.
Deelost

Sewfine 06-27-2011 03:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
That is a beautiful quilt. When I see something I like, I always copy it and blow it up, give the pices a number and work from there. This is a mug rug I made from a picture here on the board. I did not add all the other stuff to it because I ran out of fabric. Just wanted to use up some scraps.

thimblebug6000 06-27-2011 03:24 PM

I don't have any of Barbara Brackmann's books but I'm pretty sure others here have access to them. This work was probably all sewn with drawn & traced cardboard templates & hopefully someone will post a link to the original pattern. What a treasure!

Julia 06-27-2011 03:29 PM

There is 4 squares in the quilt. Each circle is 36", with 10 star points.
A circle is 360 degrees, so the points would be 36 degrees apart.
Thats about as far as my 73 year old pea brain can figure.
Thanks every one.
Will let you know if I succeed making the pattern.

MTS 06-27-2011 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Julia
There is 4 squares in the quilt. Each circle is 36", with 10 star points.
A circle is 360 degrees, so the points would be 36 degrees apart.
Thats about as far as my 73 year old pea brain can figure.
Thanks every one.
Will let you know if I succeed making the pattern.

:thumbup: Hey, that's more than most can figure. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

A few questions:

What's the diameter of the center circle? And what's the diameter of the larger circle?

The pieced diamond looks like it's made with 45 degree diamonds - can you verify that with your ruler? The construction of these diamonds is the same as for a Lone Star.

Also, how wide is the pieced diamond across its center? And for the dark narrower diamond? The length for both?

And then, it's just a bunch of calculations. ;-)