Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Need Help picking quilt squares (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/need-help-picking-quilt-squares-t53047.html)

skavanau 07-05-2010 05:20 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Im making this soccer quilt for a little girl that loves pink and purple and soccer. Ive made the first row, but now as I try to put the rest of the quilt togeather , it looks to "busy". For some reason it just looks out of order, maybe its just me , with the pink and purple.. Any help would be appreciated.

This is the first row completed
[ATTACH=CONFIG]81998[/ATTACH]

These are some of the other quilt squares.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]81999[/ATTACH]

All Thumbs 07-05-2010 05:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is just a thought...square and background colors could be the solids and the HST could be the other fabrics. No, I do not have the pattern but it looks fairly simple to figure out. This photo was sent to me by another for an example. Good luck.

skavanau 07-05-2010 05:32 PM

Yes but the soccer material is all one piece. Im cutting from the material to make the squares. I made the half squares to try and break it up. If I where making the soccer squares , that would be a great idea but Im just cutting from the material itself. Thanks

All Thumbs 07-05-2010 05:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Oops, I may have misread what you wrote. I missed that you had already put together the first row. Since it appears you are working with 5x5 inchers, perhaps a round-the-world might be what you are looking for. That way the same fabric would crawl (for lack of a better word) diagonally up the quilt. Here is an example of one I made some time ago.

cjomomma 07-05-2010 05:40 PM

Here is what I see. The pink dot soccer fabric doesn't go well with the printed Soccer fabric. All the other solids and print look good. Maybe use the pink dot as HST for a border mixed with solids. Just a suggestion. You will ultimately decide what to do.

skavanau 07-05-2010 05:42 PM

There 9x9's ..I just dont know what to do..This fabric is just way to busy. I didnt want to do any sashes, its big enough and the broder is going to be all soccer balls. I guess Ill just keep trying to place squares and see what happens. Thanks for the help...

oneygirl 07-05-2010 05:47 PM

It gets tricky working with the prints in children's fabrics. I am working on a tumbling block quilt and it is very busy looking. Maybe the use of a solid color such as white can offset the busieness of the prints and bring it more together

skavanau 07-05-2010 05:51 PM

yeah Ill try a row without the pink and white soccer ball material. Maybe its to much.. Thanks for the suggestion.

sunflower126 07-05-2010 07:12 PM

Where did you get your soccer fabric? I have 3 soccer playing grandkids (2 are girls) and I have never seen either of those pieces.

jljack 07-05-2010 08:58 PM

I think i's the green background fabric that is too different from the others. You could use it as a narrow inside border, maybe, but I think with the other blocks it looks off, somehow. IMHO. Otherwise, I like all the fabrics.