Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Need quilting options (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/need-quilting-options-t221682.html)

hockeymom14 05-17-2013 05:55 AM

Need quilting options

1 Attachment(s)
I need options for the actual quilting of this. I am thinking of stitch in the ditch for the blocks and and echo for the triangles. I don't know what to do in the sashing though. Does anyone have any ideas for me? It will be done on a DSM not a LA by myself and I am so-so at free motion.

Always quilted with Love 05-17-2013 07:00 AM

You could do lines going up and down and then in the next set of triangles go side to side, etc...

Treasureit 05-17-2013 09:18 AM

I am in the same boat when it comes to quilting. I often use XX cross hatch on the borders to add some interest...this would look good with your pattern...I would do angle lines each way and make diamonds.

nativetexan 05-17-2013 09:36 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I was trying to find something with large triangles, but only found this. you can get the idea. I'm about to quilt large and small churn dash blocks and have some triangles and squares to fill in too. I'm thinking of doing feathers in those mostly. but curved lines in the churn dash blocks.

craftynell 05-17-2013 10:28 AM

Looks good.

Tartan 05-17-2013 10:44 AM

SITD sounds simple for machine quilting but it isn't. If you need to change the direction you are sewing in, you have to rotate the whole quilt. I would SITD on the large star lines to stabilize the sandwich first. By doing long lines diagonally across the quilt and then turn the whole quilt and go the opposite way you should have a minimum of turning. After doing that you could then decide what other quilting you want to add.

hockeymom14 05-17-2013 10:52 AM

Always quilted - I like this idea for the largest (4") outer border that you can't see in this picture ( I hadn't added it yet).
Treasureit - Would this be too much in the black sashing? The narrow sashes are 1" wide and the wider one around the center block is 2" wide?
Nativetexan - I had an idea of something similar in the narrow outer border that is 2" wide (again not added in the picture). I am thinking of stitching squares on point and filling in the top and bottom half square triangles that are around them so the diamonds really pop out.
Craftynell - Thank you :)

hockeymom14 05-17-2013 10:58 AM

You are very right SITD it isn't easy. I have never tried it the way you are describing. So you are saying to stitch down the main seams (ie the seam between the grey and black triangles) then fill in the rest correct? Do you think doing SITD just in the pieced blocks is a bad idea? I really like this quilt and usually the extent of my machine quilting is stipple or SITD. I want to try to branch out more but I dont want to mess it up either.

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 6069471)
SITD sounds simple for machine quilting but it isn't. If you need to change the direction you are sewing in, you have to rotate the whole quilt. I would SITD on the large star lines to stabilize the sandwich first. By doing long lines diagonally across the quilt and then turn the whole quilt and go the opposite way you should have a minimum of turning. After doing that you could then decide what other quilting you want to add.

Tartan 05-17-2013 12:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Keep in mind this is only my opinion and you do what works for you.

QuiltnNan 05-17-2013 12:45 PM

nicely done... i'd do a meander