Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Need some critique.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/need-some-critique-t6009.html)

Dutchgirl 04-08-2008 06:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I amm getting ready to start my blocks for my wall hanging (I've never quilted before!) It is going to be a gift so I thought I'd hand piece so that the corners, points etc would look sharper.

Can you take a look at this block (it isn't the same block as the wall hanging) but I did it as a practice. What do you think should I do a practice of the block I am going to do for the wall hanging or just jump right in???

Don't be shy about what you think I could do better!! I wouldn't ask if I really didn't want to know. (If I just wanted pats on the back - I would have posted this on the pictures forum.)

Thanks!

Shooting squares quilt block from Quilter's Cache. Hand pieced.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]8208[/ATTACH]

Country Quilter 04-08-2008 06:35 AM

I think everything looks great!!! I say go for it, your ready!!!

sewmuch 04-08-2008 06:40 AM

I sure looks good to me, my first didn't look that good. Go for it!!!

Janeen 04-08-2008 06:51 AM

one thing I found online or in one of the gazillion books or magazines I have is this hint:
take the straight edge and roller blade and even up all sides - trims off the 'ears' and makes (strangely enough) a straight edge....
not a huge amount - just slivers in some cases - just enuff....

Wish I'd thought of that 30 years ago LOL

Leslee 04-08-2008 07:06 AM

You did a fine job matching all your points. You left yourself a quarter-inch on the outside edge all around. You got the colors in all the right places. And you say you hand pieced this block? Extra points for that! Lop off the bunny ears like Janeen mentioned and you're ready for the next challenge.

DJ 04-08-2008 07:31 AM

Your block is beautifully done!

To answer your question, I always like to make a prototype block just to make sure there are no errors in the pattern...at least before I cut all the pieces and find out they had me cut a piece 1/4" too small. It also gives me a chance to see if I have any special problems with the block that I need to work out...figure out which way to press the seams if they don't tell me, etc.

Chele 04-08-2008 07:43 AM

Hand sewn? First time quilter? Wow! Looks great to me. You're really paying attention to your points, etc. Chop those dog/bunny ears and jump in! Isn't quilting fun? I can't wait to see your finished wall hanging!

QuiltingTurtle 04-08-2008 07:45 AM

I think it looks great. I would do a "test" block of your real pattern. You just never know. Like DJ said just to test the pattern.

humbird 04-08-2008 08:31 AM

Do like DJ and Quilting Turtle suggested, and do a test block. It may save you many headaches! I have been quilting for many years, and still do test blocks for the reasons mentioned above. By the way, that block is beautiful, and well done. Would make a lovely full sized quilt!

Humbird

kathy 04-08-2008 09:19 AM

DITTO and... love the paisley fabrics!