Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Need suggestions for Machine Quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/need-suggestions-machine-quilting-t145001.html)

Vicky K 08-13-2011 07:36 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Hi Friends
I'm going to quilt these 2 quilts on my Janome Horizon.

For the first quilt, I'm not sure if I should SID or do more. What would you suggest?

For the second quilt, I thought I would do specific quilting per block and then stippling in the setting triangles. Do you have other suggestions?

TFL
Vicky

Rail Fence quilt for little girl
[ATTACH=CONFIG]241470[/ATTACH]

Mystery Quilt for hubby or to sell
[ATTACH=CONFIG]241471[/ATTACH]

carolaug 08-13-2011 07:44 PM

I love to stipple all of my quilts. It comes out really nice and its fairly easy. When you wash your quilt any slight error will never even be noticed.It really, really looks nice and I think its easier and funnier then stitch in the ditch. I also have a horizon and it very easy to do on that machine. Use a supreme slider cover the feeddogs up keep them up. I highly recommend gloves...it will help you keep rounded corners since it will be easier to move your fabric. Good luck, can't wait to see what you do.

Vicky K 08-13-2011 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by carolaug
I love to stipple all of my quilts. It comes out really nice and its fairly easy. When you wash your quilt any slight error will never even be noticed.It really, really looks nice and I think its easier and funnier then stitch in the ditch. I also have a horizon and it very easy to do on that machine. Use a supreme slider cover the feeddogs up keep them up. Good luck, can't wait to see what you do.

Why would you keep the feeddogs up? My machine is new and have only quilted one very large quilt so far. Any suggestions on how to use my machine would be much appreciated.

leatheflea 08-14-2011 03:53 AM

I read on one of the quilt blogs that you should always try to quilt a quilt with more quilting than you think your skill level should. Before I quilt a quilt I look at other quilt blogs , or google railed fence and look at the images to see how others have quilted their railed fences. You can get some good ideas, and visuals are always better than words.

Crqltr 08-14-2011 06:49 AM

If you keep the feed dogs up you fabric will slide, you won't pull and stretch your fabric. Sticthes are more even.

quilttiludrop 08-14-2011 07:40 AM

You cannot do FMQ with the feed dogs up. It goes against the definition of FMQ.

If you are unsure of what you are doing, you should practice with sandwiches of fabric/batting/fabric until you get the hang of it.

On the first quilt, I think you should have some curvy lines. You can draw you design out on paper, on a white board or on acrylic with erasable markers. Good luck and have fun!

Vicky K 08-14-2011 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by leatheflea
I read on one of the quilt blogs that you should always try to quilt a quilt with more quilting than you think your skill level should. Before I quilt a quilt I look at other quilt blogs , or google railed fence and look at the images to see how others have quilted their railed fences. You can get some good ideas, and visuals are always better than words.

Anything more than SID is above my skill level :). Need to branch out more and take some risks. lol
Thanks for the suggestion to google rail fence, didn't think of it.

Vicky K 08-14-2011 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by quilttiludrop
You cannot do FMQ with the feed dogs up. It goes against the definition of FMQ.

If you are unsure of what you are doing, you should practice with sandwiches of fabric/batting/fabric until you get the hang of it.

On the first quilt, I think you should have some curvy lines. You can draw you design out on paper, on a white board or on acrylic with erasable markers. Good luck and have fun!

I like the idea of curvy lines too. I was taught to keep practicing the design on paper until I believe its in my muscle memory. Have lots of scrap paper just waiting to be used up.

Vicky K 08-15-2011 12:05 PM

For the rail fence, I think I'm going to do different designs per rail. Flowers, kites, hearts, swirls, her name in the center(ish) one. Sending hubby today to get some muslin so I can practice before starting on her quilt.

Now to decide on thread color. Not sure if I want the back to show or not to show. What do you think - keep in mind I'm a beginner FMQ :).