Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Need your eye for this 20 floral fabric spread for a Bargello (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/need-your-eye-20-floral-fabric-spread-bargello-t103224.html)

barnbum 02-26-2011 09:02 AM

4 Attachment(s)
The design will be Surf Song--a simple Bargello with no twists. Goal is to make it look like wind over a meadow of flowers.

At first I thought blend, blend, blend, but after studying the photo of one done, I decided more contrasts here and there would make it move more. So--here's where I'm at after making more changes. There are some colors that jump out at me--but I need that--a (reads) dark next to a (reads) lighter--for movement.

See anything trouble spots? Suggestions? I know I won't know if it works until it's together... but another set of eyes would be great.

all 20
[ATTACH=CONFIG]154659[/ATTACH]

and left
[ATTACH=CONFIG]154660[/ATTACH]

close up of right side. I've taken that red one in and out so many times...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]154661[/ATTACH]

Here's the one from the book...I don't want to copy it exactly. ;-)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]159225[/ATTACH]

jeaninmaine 02-26-2011 09:04 AM

You might need a few darks for contrast. Maybe something tone on tone so it doesn't get brightened up by the flowers in it.

barnbum 02-26-2011 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by jeaninmaine
You might need a few darks for contrast.

Yeah... mine are mostly medium hues... I don't have a lot of dark florals I like. It gets dark in the middle with the fabric with the purple petals... then not dark like that until the end. Hmmm. Thinking...thinking...

bj 02-26-2011 09:07 AM

I think I would swap the red small print with the one to its right with blue, red, and pink larger flowers. I think it would give you a transition from warm on the right to cool on the left since it contains both warm and cool colors. I like all the fabrics! :-D :-D

barnbum 02-26-2011 09:08 AM

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by bj
I think I would swap the red small print with the one to its right with blue, red, and pink larger flowers. I think it would give you a transition from warm on the right to cool on the left since it contains both warm and cool colors. I like all the fabrics! :-D :-D

Okay--let me try that...be right back.

Now I wonder if it should be moved one more jump to the right???
[ATTACH=CONFIG]157298[/ATTACH]

The red moved once more to the right. Yes? No?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]157715[/ATTACH]

gotthebug 02-26-2011 09:09 AM

Barnbum, I hardly feel comfortable giving YOU advise. I think you are one of the quilters on here that everyone learns from. Every time I see that you have posted, I quickly look at your latest posting because I know it will be top notch. I love the colors and prints you have chosen here for this project. I just can't wait to see it finished.

jeaninmaine 02-26-2011 09:11 AM

How about a darker green with green leaves or grass so it would give an impression of being a dark.

Never mind, it might take away from the blues. Duh.

sahm4605 02-26-2011 09:13 AM

I agree with jean. a nice green leafy one would look good. But I would audition it first. I can't wait to see what you come up with.

thimblebug6000 02-26-2011 09:14 AM

Actually I was going to suggest REMOVING that one with the large flowers directly to the right of the red. When I cover it, the flow seems smoother. JMHO

sueisallaboutquilts 02-26-2011 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by gotthebug
Barnbum, I hardly feel comfortable giving YOU advise. I think you are one of the quilters on here that everyone learns from. Every time I see that you have posted, I quickly look at your latest posting because I know it will be top notch. I love the colors and prints you have chosen here for this project. I just can't wait to see it finished.

Uh..... YEAH- same here!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: