Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Needle Marking (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/needle-marking-t89527.html)

mommafank 01-12-2011 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Borntohandquilt

Originally Posted by mommafank
So do you just poke holes along the design with the needle?

No, I don't poke holes - I just mark indentations by holding the needle point in a small angle towards the quilt top. There is no danger to damage the fabric when you hold the needle flat.

Thanks----appreciate learning something new.

gramquilter2 01-12-2011 12:03 PM

Your handquilting is super, and I like this needle marking method and hope to try it too.

donac 01-12-2011 12:55 PM

What kind of batting do you use? Your stiches are so beautiful. I love hand quilting. To me it is also relaxing. I am just getting back into it for the first time in a long time.

Thanks for the info about transfering the markings with the needle. It looks like a yarn needle. I have always been afraid to use anything to mark a quilt so I have been using a lot of masking tape and doing mostly straight lines. I have a quilt where I want to do some echo quilting so this might just work.

Carol A 01-12-2011 03:47 PM

such beautiful work-I can't show my stitches that close-I.m envious!! :lol:

CarolinePaj 01-12-2011 04:11 PM

Andrea.... you really are an artist who works with thread and fabric... your work is amazing.

hugs

patimint 01-12-2011 04:47 PM

What a great idea. I am going to use it in a few weeks when I get my top finished

JCL in FL 01-12-2011 05:09 PM

[quote

I am in the lucky situtation to stay at home and to quilt, quilt, quilt the whole day. My dear husband is so supportive to me and he loves what I do. All my time I can spend in hand quilting, in praciting and, of course, in doing traditional wholecloths. I don't piece, I don't have to cut, press and sew. You see my situation is different to most of us quilters!

I am a hand quilter but I have never done a whole cloth. I quilt pieced quilts and blank squares that are alternated in some patterns like the Irish Chain but my fingers get sore. How do you avoid this. Sometimes I bleed on my fabric.

Caro 01-12-2011 05:26 PM

Your work is amazing...I try to hand quilt occasionally but not enough to really get better.am anxious to hear what batting you use...what thread?

Retired to Quilt 01-12-2011 05:47 PM

Practically every quilting magazine shows hand quilting technique.

Born to hand quilt, your hand quilting is sooooo very beautiful. Looking at your stitches feeds my soul!

I began teaching myself to quilt about 25 years ago and found myself, more recently, teaching classes on piecing and hand quilting. I will always hand quilt. I do not want it to become the lost art it once was in the U.S.

IT_Nana 01-12-2011 05:47 PM

That is so cool! I didn't know it was possible to do that.