Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Never paper piece again! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/never-paper-piece-again-t259766.html)

charwhit 01-15-2015 05:12 PM

Never paper piece again!

2 Attachment(s)
Here is a quilt top that I have paper pieced, and I will never ever do it again! I feel that it is wastes to much fabric. The colors are not quite what they actually are, the yellow looking color is actually a green and the blue is a blueish green .

feline fanatic 01-15-2015 05:18 PM

It is a very pretty quilt but I hope you give PP a try again. Some patterns I would never attempt without PP like Mariner's compass and NYB. Try browsing Judy Neimeyer's patterns at quiltworx. She lays out and gives you precutting templates so the waste is absolutely minimal. I do agree that a simpler pattern made up of rectangles and squares or strip pieced like yours appears to be would be more frugal doing traditional rather than PP

GrammaNan 01-15-2015 05:58 PM

Don't give up! I watched a video the other day that said most quilters waste a lot of fabric at first but then learn how to decrease waste as they go along. Your quilt is very nice.

NJ Quilter 01-15-2015 06:14 PM

I agree with the others when it comes to pp'ing. Once you get the hang of it - or the pattern/instructions are well done, the waste is relatively minimal. There are just some patterns, like feline fanatic mentions, that pp'ing is the only way to go.

For future, perhaps make a second set of pattern pieces, cut them apart and use as a rough template for cutting your fabric - like an inch or so larger all the way around. Unless your fabric is very directional, you could lay out a bunch of those templates and have considerably less waste.

Doggramma 01-15-2015 06:53 PM

It's so soft and pretty! I really dislike the fussiness of paper piecing, so kudos to you for doing such a large quilt.

JuneBillie 01-15-2015 11:11 PM

It's a beautiful quilt. I am trying to learn paper piecing, but I can't imagine doing something that big. You did an amazing job.

Yooper32 01-16-2015 04:42 AM

I agree with FF. Looking at that quilt, even upside-down, I can't see why it needed to be Paper-pieced.

lfletcher 01-16-2015 05:23 AM

I felt the same way as you did when I first paper pieced, but I tried it again several years later with a Judy Niemeyer pattern and liked her method.

tessagin 01-16-2015 05:30 AM

I have done some paper piecing and I just take the "waste' and save for something else. I watched a Judy Niemeyer video and did one NYB block. It's on my bucket list. With JN's method, very little waste. Same effect with Bonnie Hunter. She uses scraps where as Judy doesn't.

nygal 01-16-2015 05:45 AM

The first time I tried PP I hated it and I only did two blocks at that time!! Fast forward a few years later and I LOVE paper piecing!! Some designs are so worth the effort because they turn out so well.