Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   New Sewing Room ! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/new-sewing-room-t249830.html)

SlightlyOffQuilter 07-09-2014 05:03 PM

New Sewing Room !

We found a new place to move, and so began the chaos that is packing, moving, and unpacking ! We only moved about 5 minutes away from our old place, but just that short distance was such a hectic thing ! We had hoped to rent a 17 foot u-haul, so that everything could be brought over in one trip. Needless to say, that did not work out like we had planned ! The move in date ended up being a few days earlier than we had anticipated, much to our delight, but that also meant very short notice for reserving a truck. So instead of 1 trip with the 17 foot truck, we made 6 trips with a 10 foot truck !

It has come to our attention, that sewing rooms are apparently made of the same material that Mary Poppins bag was made of in the movie ! You know the one I am talking about. The bottomless bag that things just keep getting pulled out of and it never seems to end ? Yeah, well, that is what sewing rooms are made of ! At least mine was at least. I never in a million years would have expected that JUST that ONE room, would have taken up an entire 10 foot U-Haul truck all on its own ! Really , it did !

Now I have to tell you, that our new place is amazing, and beautiful, and I love it. I also need to tell you that our new place resides on the 2nd and 3rd floors of the oldest house in our new town ! This means stairs, and lots of them !

My sewing room in the new house is HUGE ! Much larger than the old one, which is a wonderful blessing. It is also located on the 3rd floor ! Which means that ALL the stuff we packed into that 10 foot truck, had to go up not one, but TWO sets of stairs ! My son has informed me that I will be living in this house until I die, because he is NOT moving this all back down the stairs again !

So over the past 2 weeks I have been going crazy trying to get things put away, not only in my sewing room, but the rest of the house as well. I was going to wait and show you my new room when it was picture perfect, but tonight I realized, that if I wait for my room to be picture perfect , I will NEVER show it to you, because my room is NEVER perfect ! So here she is, in all of her imperfect glory !

My new room measures roughly 12 Feet x 12 feet. To me this is HUGE compared to my old room !
Since my room at one point was formerly part of the attic, it has sloped ceilings. Thankfully, the landlord thought it would be beneficial to create built in storage in the knee walls. These spaces are AWESOME !
The sloped ceilings also offer a fantastic place for me to add some decorations without worrying about it using up wall space that I need for shelving !
The closet door serves as the perfect location for my peg board for my scissors, rotary cutters and other miscellaneous tools !
The back of the door into the room makes for a spectacular place to hang my rulers using command hooks !
I had a large enough space between the main door and the closet to set up my work table.
My work table is a piece of plywood, covered in batting and fabric for a pressing surface. I placed this board on top of my shelving. This gives me a large work table as well as storage ! I love it !
What better way to hide my knee wall storage areas than behind quilts ?
I can pack alot into those spaces too !
And I have two of them in my room ! Yay for storage !
These shelves contain my sheet collection. Have i mentioned my love for thrift store sheets before ? LOL
Since the new living room has built in storage shelves for our DVD/Blu-Ray collection, I got to re-purpose these shelves in my room. They are perfect for holding my yardage stash !
These drawers hold my scraps ( sorted by size ) and my Accu-Quilt fits nicely between them when not in use !
Thread on the peg board makes it easy to see what I need to restock ! I have more to add, but have not come across my other container of rods yet LOL.
The closet door o ‘ tools ! I adore peg board !
The side of the sheet shelves makes a great place to hand long rulers !
I need to get some more wooden hoops , as my ceiling has alot of spaces to be covered !
So I hope you enjoyed the look into my new space. I am anxious to get working in here, though it does seem a pity to make it all pretty only to make it a mess so soon ! Oh well, I miss the hum of my machine too much to hold off much longer !

maryb119 07-09-2014 05:20 PM

Lucky you!!!! I would never come out of there!!!! Can I play at your house?

BuzzinBumble 07-09-2014 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by SlightlyOffQuilter (Post 6793503)
It has come to our attention, that sewing rooms are apparently made of the same material that Mary Poppins bag was made of in the movie ! You know the one I am talking about. The bottomless bag that things just keep getting pulled out of and it never seems to end ? Yeah, well, that is what sewing rooms are made of ! At least mine was at least. I never in a million years would have expected that JUST that ONE room, would have taken up an entire 10 foot U-Haul truck all on its own ! Really , it did !

I laughed so hard when I read what you wrote about Mary Poppins bag. So true! You have a great space and wow you got reorganized so well. Best wishes in your new home!

Doggramma 07-09-2014 06:00 PM

Thanks for posting photos and all the great ideas! I'm going to be moving into the basement soon so I'm gathering ideas

Jan in VA 07-09-2014 06:07 PM

Honey, you have NO concept of what "imperfect sewing room" is!!!:D

Your new one is glorious, gorgeous, fabulous -- lucky, lucky you!!:thumbup: Thank you for sharing; it's always fun to picture where our fellow members hide away. :)

Jan in VA

Purpleprint 07-09-2014 06:16 PM

I think a sewing or quilting room that I can walk into is a good sewing room. Nice ideas.

Lori S 07-09-2014 06:25 PM

You sure got this in order pretty quick. Its a wonderful play pen ! Have FUN!!!

quilts4charity 07-09-2014 06:25 PM

Yay for a bigger space, enjoy! I laughed at your Mary Poppins thing, when we bought our new house almost 6 years ago I went from an 8x10 room to a 12x20 room and my brother said "how in the heck did you have all this crammed in that little room when it fills this one up?" LOL, where there's a will there's a way I guess!!!!

EmiliasNana 07-09-2014 06:48 PM

You did a fabulous job with your organization and managed to pack A LOT into your new sewing room and have it still look neat, creative and workable. Congratulations and have fun quilting!

Annz 07-09-2014 06:52 PM

Great room and set up very well.