Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Newly finished Art Quilt .... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/newly-finished-art-quilt-t23946.html)

sewjoyce 08-10-2009 06:19 AM

You did a great job on it!! I love it!

Ducky 08-10-2009 06:19 AM

Wish I had some magical suggestion for you. Just wanted to say that I totally LOVE it! The batiks are just so perfect. Great work, Red.

RedGarnet222 08-10-2009 06:38 AM

Hi Everyone,
I really appreciate all your comments. I am not sure what I will do yet. I have glued down the edges that came loose, but nothing else yet. It was not a kit. I bought the pattern and fabrics seperate. But, the fabrics were the suggested ones by mckenna. They are batiks and it was fun to try and get the shadows in the right places and use the right colors here and there. I shaded the hands and under his hat with art pencils because I just couldn't resist having them look right, but all the rest is the fabric doing it's job.

I threw away the rest of my stash of the webbing. This will be a costly mistake if I can't get it right. I am going to give it a day or so and think on it. I have a new quilt I am starting, so that should help take my mind off the problem until I stop feeling like I should throw it away. :evil:

I have done the free motion embroidery on other pieces before. It was fun and works to bring the piece alive. But, I just don't think the bonding will hold enough to do it without tearing up the fabrics. As you all know the batiks are very closely woven and are tough to work with. Dang .. I don't know...

Butterflyspain 08-10-2009 07:16 AM

I think its such a pretty picture, such a shame it didnīt hold. All the suggestions made seem good to me and I hope you have some success.

Elle

alaskasunshine 08-10-2009 07:21 AM

OOOH I love it too!

RedGarnet222 08-10-2009 10:59 AM

Thank you girls. I think I might try doing some free motion embroidery on it tomorrow. Hubby kicked me out of there today to shampoo the rugs! LOL! Nice guy, huh?

jbsstrawberry 08-10-2009 01:33 PM

It's absolutely gorgeous. I'm sure you'll figure out a way to get'er done without causing damage to the fabric. But don't you dare throw this beauty away!! It is indeed a beautiful piece of art, and even if you have to make your own frame, it would be fantastic! Such art deserves a perfect frame :D

nursie76 08-10-2009 01:41 PM

This is beeeeaaauuuutiful!!! I am sorry your are having problems. Would Stitch Witchery work to anchor the loose edges? How about a glue stick to hold it in place to stitch it? I have a book that uses that techinique, and there are several tutorials on you tube that do also. I am just a novice at this, so just throwing out a few thoughts. Good luck. This is truly a piece of art and too nice to abandon!

RedGarnet222 08-10-2009 02:34 PM

nursie,
Funny that is exactly what I used. Stitch witchery and fabric glue to get those edges to stay down. I guess when something is right it is right, huh?

I am going to use a very sharp needle (embroidery) and try it on a sample that I will mock up with the same fabrics and glue and such and see how that works. If it doesn't, I am going to pull out the paints, art crayons and pencils and shade it that way and just frame it. Oh dog gone it. I hope the sample works.

ps ) strawberry your so sweet ... ty so much!

nursie76 08-10-2009 03:07 PM

Glad that you have the problem partially solved. Do you think that using a product like Sewer's Aid on your needle first might help? No experience with this, but I think it was mentioned by the instructor at my new Bernina owers class when using metallic threads, and I remember a long time ago hearing about it at a quilting class in connection with fusibles.