Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   the next ragged flannels and I figured out how to determine fabrics needed! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/next-ragged-flannels-i-figured-out-how-determine-fabrics-needed-t176524.html)

barnbum 01-22-2012 06:32 AM

the next ragged flannels and I figured out how to determine fabrics needed!

2 Attachment(s)
I've been doing math. :-) This has been very accurate. I cut 7" blocks. The lady at the lqs said I'd get six blocks per strip, but I can only get five--and one 4" which I do use. So if I like the 9 by 11 block size--that's 99 blocks for the front and 99 for the back. If I want four fabrics, that's 25 blocks per fabric. So...since I get five blocks from one strip, I need five strips. 5 x 7 is 35"--that is easy enough but divided by 36" to determine yardage--it'd be .97 of a yard of each of four fabrics. Just for the record--I'd go 1.25 yards to play it safe. ;-) For the back of this next one I'm using all the same fabric. So getting five blocks per strip, and 99 blocks needs 19.8 strips--obviously round to 20 strips. Twenty 7" strips = 140" and divide that by 36" to determine yardage and it comes to 3.88 yards--which of course I'd round to 4.25--just to be safe. lol Can you tell I've learned my lesson by buying a bit more than I think I need?

So--bottom line--to make the size I'm making--54" by 66" you need four yards of fabric for front and four more for the back--total of eight yards.

If one is using a different size block--or wants five fabrics for the front--the calculations are easy.
Hope that helps!

Anyway--here are my fabrics for the next one. Strips are all cut--just need to get them into blocks. I also need to start from scratch with batting squares--I used all I had in the last one. I don't like cutting batting. But--to give a hug-to-go--I'm willing!

Colors--I read somewhere long ago that for a calming effect--the hues must all be similar--even if one is a bit darker than another--contrast much be low. So--that's what I was going for here. The recipient's favorite color is yellow--so that one will be the back. It is BRIGHT!

Two of the fabrics are Buggy Barn flannels--LOVE them. The green is Stonehedge.

blueangel 01-22-2012 06:37 AM

Very pretty flannel.

dunster 01-22-2012 07:06 AM

All are pretty, but that bottom one is to DIE for. 6 blocks in WOF would be very ambitious, especially if you pre-washed the flannel. Is this a rag quilt? I use 3 layers of flannel for those rather than using batting. It adds more to the ragging and is easier to deal with than batting. Sometimes I even leave out the middle layer and it's still a nice soft quilt.

luvTooQuilt 01-22-2012 07:50 AM

it will be a lovely quilt.. I too use three layers of flannel instead of batting.. Just layer on my go as I would sew them.. makes it easier and faster for me..

auntpiggylpn 01-22-2012 08:17 AM

I posted a link earlier that has a worksheet to figure out calculations for a rag quilt. When I made mine, I just winged it and wound up having to go buy extra fabric! Good job on figuring it out for yourself!

http://app4.websitetonight.com/proje...Calculator.pdf

auntpiggylpn 01-22-2012 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt (Post 4898693)
it will be a lovely quilt.. I too use three layers of flannel instead of batting.. Just layer on my go as I would sew them.. makes it easier and faster for me..

I do this too! I used 1 layer cotton for the front and 2 layers of flannel for the batting and backing and I also used my go rag die and did each block by layering the 3 fabrics together. Then you just grab them and sew them together! It certainly made it a breeze to put it together!

Peggy Jeanne 01-22-2012 08:46 AM

Beautiful fabrics.

Krisb 01-22-2012 12:10 PM

Love the fabrics, and your calculation method is spot on, especially including automatic stash building in the calculation. When I sewed clothing, I used to take anywhere from 1/4 to 1/2 yard off the pattern envelope requirements, because my mom said they always had a layout that wasted fabric and you didn't ever need that much. Now I use your method---calculate the fabric requirements, add 4" for shrinkage and off grain cutting at the store, then add 1/4 or 1/2 yard just to be safe.

feline fanatic 01-22-2012 12:23 PM

Gorgeous fabs Karla. I espeically like that tiny floral right next to the green stonehenge. Too funny, it must be the cold wintery weather here in NY but I have also been working on a flannel quilt but not a rag quilt. I used that same green stonehenge in mine too! I really like working with flannel when it is cold and blustery out. so soft and cozy.

barnbum 01-22-2012 01:00 PM

feline--I MUST see a photo! I've never used flannel in a quilt other than a ragged or a back, so I really really want to see. Here--email--FB--take your choice! :-)