Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Nine Hearts .... the final episode of the Twelve Lonely Hearts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/nine-hearts-final-episode-twelve-lonely-hearts-t260985.html)

QuiltE 02-08-2015 12:27 PM

Nine Hearts .... the final episode of the Twelve Lonely Hearts

5 Attachment(s)
Some of you may remember the saga of the Twelve Lonely Hearts from last year ....
http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...s-t241121.html

I reached my goal ..... to have the flimsy quilted for Valentine's Day 2015.

This past year, I have spent a lot of time trying to learn FMQing. Yes, I have improved considerably from V-Day 2014, but I also know I have a long long way to go in this journey. Thank you to my special Consulting Angels (or maybe they are Consulting Cupids?) for guiding me along the path, and helping me along the way.

Matching the thread and fabric is nice, but makes it so difficult to see in photos. I think I have now taken a bajillion photos and am still not happy! I've picked the best, and if you zoom in, I think you can see the FMQing (somewhat!).

Speaking of thread ... how's this for seasonal threads? After I pulled them at the shop, looking for what went with the fabrics, we all had a good laugh at the coincidence of the colour names!
Snowflake White (feathers around the hearts)
Cardinal Red (inside echos of the heart, rope twist border, and background/border print)
Valentine Pink (bobbin)

The quilt finished at 56" square.
The thread was Hemingsworth Embroidery thread.
After spray basting, SITD was done to anchor further before FMQing was started.

(SITD between all the squares, outline of the pieced hearts and around the narrow inside border) .

Here is Nine Hearts, hanging in my office.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]509337[/ATTACH]

The outside of the hearts have feathers, along with a heart at the top and bottom. Inside the hearts is a simple double echo. The printed hearts in the squares between the pieced hearts were outlined and joined together with a continuous meander/loop, with a heart added in periodically on the vine.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]509338[/ATTACH]

The inner narrow border (2" finished) has a rope twist. The outer border again has the hearts outlined with what I will call "tossed feathers" for a background fill. I found a bunch of different designs and kind of combined what I saw for an all over fill, generally shaped like a guitar pick or flower petal with 2, 3 or 4 loops on it. Make any sense?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]509339[/ATTACH]

A look at the backing. Again, a zoom on either of these photos, and you might be able to see the border design.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]509340[/ATTACH]

And then there was One Lonely Heart ... when I finished the thread last year, there was one, waiting for a reason and purpose in life. I did get it finished, and it now is a very proud my Miss February, mini quilt.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]509341[/ATTACH]

Thank You Everyone, for looking!!
HAPPY VALENTINE'S
.........TO YOU !!!!!

JuneBillie 02-08-2015 12:44 PM

That is a beautiful wall hanging and single heart. Such pretty colors and prints. Your quilting is also beautiful. You did a great job on all.

works4me 02-08-2015 12:46 PM

:thumbup: Well done. You have done a wonderful job and yes, I can see your quilting. I really like the rope twists and you have done a nice job of choosing designs for each section.

And I'm so glad that you finished Miss February, too. :)

QUILTNMO 02-08-2015 01:12 PM

very pretty!!!

lbc 02-08-2015 01:15 PM

Congratulations. Isn't it great to meet your goal.

DogHouseMom 02-08-2015 01:33 PM

Looks great!! Well done all around. I'm also happy to report that I have pieces of that background fabric in the "Broken English" quilt I just finished and posted today :) Nice to see it in it's "intended" quilt!!

Divokittysmom 02-08-2015 01:39 PM

Your quilt is absolutely stunning!!! If I could FMQ like that I would be ecstatic!! Great job!!!

QuiltnNan 02-08-2015 01:39 PM

very nicely done!

Tartan 02-08-2015 02:15 PM

Pretty quilt and quilting!

NUTMEG10 02-08-2015 02:43 PM

Those are beautiful. I love the mini.