Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Off Center Log cabins (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/off-center-log-cabins-t8834.html)

barnbum 07-08-2008 05:02 AM

auntshamaine--the one you posted by the club must have a bigger contrast between the lights and darks than mine to get that awesome effect--it's just stunning. I'll have to play around with that some day...some day....

isnthatodd 07-08-2008 05:03 AM

I love them all. I will add this idea to my list (which is at least 100 years worth of work). :lol:

Bevanger 07-08-2008 05:15 AM

very pretty. i love the colors together

beachlady 07-08-2008 06:26 AM

I love log cabins and yours it so pretty. Love all the layouts you can do. I haven't tried the off center approach - will add that to my to do list.

Marcia 07-08-2008 06:51 AM

I love it!! I love log cabins too and this is a great idea.

Karla-thanks for posting your log cabin "setting thoughts"-it is so fun to see how different it can look turned another way! Loved it!

auntshamaine 07-08-2008 06:01 PM

Wow, LOVE this thread!!
I guess lots of us love the log cabins. I am a FALL fan so I am finding myself wanting to do eveything in those colors. I also have a WIP that is the maple leaf pattern in very soft fall colors. Won't be ready for this fall but for next year.

Karla, I am so glad you shared. Especially with it being the same colors I can really picture the outcome now!! LOL

This is just a table runner but now that I have seen your pix I am thinking I like the 2nd pic and want to try to work with that. I will let you all know when I get there.....

Thanks so much for the thoughts and ideas,
Tracy

auntshamaine 07-08-2008 06:13 PM

Karla, the biggest difference are apparently the colors with ours being fall and hers being dark jewel tones.

But I think the difference that you are seeing is that
(not sure how to explain this, but....)
on the clubs, the darks are the outer most strips so that makes their cirlces touch which makes their diamonds pointier....
On yours the lights are the outer most strips, so your circles don't touch each other and that makes the diamonds fluffier.....

DOES THAT MAKE ANY SENSE AT ALL?!?!?

Actually, seeing both I can say that your way would work better in the smaller items like a table runner because it would define the circle more.
Just my opinion, but seeing both ways helps me understand the differences that small things can make in quilting.....
Thanks again,
Tracy

barnbum 07-08-2008 06:27 PM

Very observant, Tracy!! It would have taken me a LOT longer to figure that out. :D

mgshaw 07-08-2008 06:53 PM

Ok! just added another log cabin to "THE LIST".

gcathie 07-08-2008 07:12 PM

Well I think most know I don't like to do log cabins ....but.....My gosh them are a might purty!!! :lol: So pretty love them colors...but oh those darn log cabins....barnbum and auntshamaine.....you can make me one just like what your doing and have done... :D okay okay I hear you yeah right...guess you got your own list...guess I can try :lol: Sure pretty!