Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Ok..I've screwed up big time and need help PLEASE!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/ok-ive-screwed-up-big-time-need-help-please-t4370.html)

sandpat 02-09-2008 03:26 PM

Thanks for the compliments :oops:

Debra,
I hadn't thought about the yarn thing..I know that would work. I also hadn't thought of just quilting another line around the trapunto. I'm going to finish this part and then look at it a day or two and see. Thanks for the ideas.

HJ 02-21-2008 12:51 AM

I agree! This quilt is just stunning! If you think you NEED to stipple, then try a litttle area, and see. However, I do believe it is stunning just the way it is.

Helen

W. SD

Bernadette Harwood 02-21-2008 04:58 AM

I think it is great. Leave it alone or just finish what you started. I would not hoop it as that will stretch it. Look at it a few weeks but it should be fine how it is and I don't see any looseness either. If you do end up stipling it it will flatten more. I was nervous doing that to one of mine and it did flatten it. But like we all said it looks GREAT NOW!!!!!!!!!!! Super especially because it was not paper pieced. Excellent points!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :) :) :) :) :) :) Perfect!!!!!!!!

Tiffany 02-21-2008 12:29 PM

Redundant but I agree with everyone else concerning the amount of stitching. Unless you are planning this as a wall hanging, I definitely would NOT add any more quilting because then the quilt will be too stiff to be cozy. I learned that one the hard way. :roll:

John Flynn has an interesting method of adding trupunto to a quilt after it has been sandwiched. He uses a rod with the wadding (stuffing) at the end, threads it through the sandwhich from the side (before you bind it), and somehow releases it in just the right spot. I saw it on Simply Quilts a few years back and had forgotten about it until I read about it on his website recently. Of course I just looked through his website and can't find anything on this method. :roll: Does anyone else know what I'm talking about and perhaps has a website talking about this bookmarked?
~Tiffany

bj 02-21-2008 02:13 PM

Sandpat, I think your quilt is gorgeous as is. I'm anxious to see it finished.

Tiffany, I wonder if he stuffed the batting into a straw or tubing or something then forced it back out into the quilt using the rod? I don't remember seeing that episode, and I thought I'd seen them all (several times :) ) He is awfully clever with some of his ideas. Isn't he the one that fluffs rag quilt seams with a weed wacker?

Tiffany 02-21-2008 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by bj
Sandpat, I think your quilt is gorgeous as is. I'm anxious to see it finished.

Tiffany, I wonder if he stuffed the batting into a straw or tubing or something then forced it back out into the quilt using the rod? I don't remember seeing that episode, and I thought I'd seen them all (several times :) ) He is awfully clever with some of his ideas. Isn't he the one that fluffs rag quilt seams with a weed wacker?

Yes, in fact he said he's made about a dozen that way so far. I guess if the tool fits...
~Tiffany

sandpat 02-21-2008 04:44 PM

I've seen John Flynn doing the trapunto on Simply Quilts, so I know what you are talking about Tiff. His method seems very work intensive to me vs. the method that I used. I did it on the machine based on a class that Paula (senior moment..forgot Paula's last name- the pink haired machine quilter who does Alex Anderson's quilting)..Anyway ....REID thats it!!!! :oops:

Anyhow..I took a machine quilting/trapunto class from her last fall. Its really easy her way..uses the water soluable thread to add the extra batting prior to sandwiching. So far..so good.

I finished the quilting on this, binding should be done in a couple of days (if I get off of here and get busy)..will post new pics then and get you guys opinions then. I think I agree with all of you...its done...finito!

barbb baumgardner 02-25-2008 04:55 PM

You are suffering from quilter's perfectionism. The quilt is absolutely beautiful. I am also the most critical of my own work. My husband keeps reminding me that it is a quilt and as such there will be flaws and imperfections! But the most amazing thing is that YOU are the only one who is so critical of that beautiful piece of art. I have tried to do the Mariner's Compass and I failed dismally. Be happy, it is beautiful.