Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Old Quilt Tops (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/old-quilt-tops-t112773.html)

Kitsapquilter 04-01-2011 07:21 PM

I inherited these two old quilt tops that I am sure were made by one or two of my Great Aunts. They were sisters and lived together in a beautiful big house. They were my Dad's aunts. I loved going to visit at their house. They had beautiful pictures hanging on every wall almost! My Dad also made sure that I got my favorite picture after the last aunt passed on. It was a beautiful picture of a dog. Don't think the dog really belonged to anyone. It was just a painting or print of a dog. But I always loved the picture.
The quilts I am sure are at least 75 years old and I would say they are older than that. I am about to have my 70th birthday next month and I cannot remember ever seeing the aunts working on a quilt. So I am really thinking these might be more like 85 or 90 years old.
The flying geese quilt is all hand pieced. The other one is machine pieced. The lines you see drawn on the blocks in the flying geese are drawn on for quilting. I would like to have that one hand-quilted also. I have never done any hand quilting though. But since it is all straight lines I might give it a try!!
Would you use muslin for backing on these? I am thinking that might be best. Or would you use a different fabric?

I have had these for about 15 or 20 years. I would like to get them quilted so they will be done before my time is up in this world. Both my daughter and daughter-in-law would be proud to inherit them after I am done with them.

Kitsapquilter 04-01-2011 07:25 PM

5 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Kitsapquilter
I inherited these two old quilt tops that I am sure were made by one or two of my Great Aunts. They were sisters and lived together in a beautiful big house. They were my Dad's aunts. I loved going to visit at their house. They had beautiful pictures hanging on every wall almost! My Dad also made sure that I got my favorite picture after the last aunt passed on. It was a beautiful picture of a dog. Don't think the dog really belonged to anyone. It was just a painting or print of a dog. But I always loved the picture.
The quilts I am sure are at least 75 years old and I would say they are older than that. I am about to have my 70th birthday next month and I cannot remember ever seeing the aunts working on a quilt. So I am really thinking these might be more like 85 or 90 years old.
The flying geese quilt is all hand pieced. The other one is machine pieced. The lines you see drawn on the blocks in the flying geese are drawn on for quilting. I would like to have that one hand-quilted also. I have never done any hand quilting though. But since it is all straight lines I might give it a try!!
Would you use muslin for backing on these? I am thinking that might be best. Or would you use a different fabric?

I have had these for about 15 or 20 years. I would like to get them quilted so they will be done before my time is up in this world. Both my daughter and daughter-in-law would be proud to inherit them after I am done with them.

Sorry, I am having trouble getting my pictures on. I am still trying.

Hand Pieced Flying Geese
[ATTACH=CONFIG]178460[/ATTACH]

close up of fabrics and marked for quilting
[ATTACH=CONFIG]178461[/ATTACH]

More of the fabric at close up
[ATTACH=CONFIG]178462[/ATTACH]

SEcond old top machine pieced
[ATTACH=CONFIG]178463[/ATTACH]

Tippy 04-01-2011 07:51 PM

I would use muslin on the backs. .it's in keeping with the age of the quilts.

Cherylsea 04-01-2011 07:51 PM

Two very beautiful quilts. I think I would use muslin and trying to hand quilt won't hurt them a bit. Go for it! Good luck.

Grandma58 04-01-2011 07:54 PM

Definitely muslin and HAND QUILTING an old fashioned put them on the frame and get them done party.

sak658 04-01-2011 07:54 PM

Lovely quilts, you should try the hand quilting, it's really relaxing and I think muslin would be great for the back on both. It comes bleached and unbleached. I use them both. Unbleached I use for the more antique look. It's more of a creamy look. Your daughters will love to have them.. Be sure and label them as to who pieced and quilted them and the year if possible. Never can have too much information on these timely creations.

sueisallaboutquilts 04-02-2011 06:35 AM

Beautiful tops, oh my gosh!!!
I would use muslin also. Hand quilting would be awesome but finished is better than not!!!
Eddie has done some beautiful machine quilting with old tops.

How nice of your Dad to make sure you got the dog picture, that really warmed my heart! :D:D

Oh another thing- you have some really OLD fabrics there!! I would say like turn of the century!!

dinlauren 04-02-2011 07:28 AM

wonderful quilts to inherit...i would also use muslin in keeping with the times they were probably created. And hand quilting is relaxing and enjoyable to me....i sit in front of the tv and go for it..

Kitsapquilter 04-02-2011 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
Beautiful tops, oh my gosh!!!
I would use muslin also. Hand quilting would be awesome but finished is better than not!!!
Eddie has done some beautiful machine quilting with old tops.

How nice of your Dad to make sure you got the dog picture, that really warmed my heart! :D:D

Oh another thing- you have some really OLD fabrics there!! I would say like turn of the century!!

I expect you are right about how old some of the fabrics are in these quilts. Especially the Flying Geese one. That is the one I think I am going to attempt to hand quilt. Wondering how to bind it. Should I just use muslin to bind it too. I will definitely use muslin for the backing. Or maybe a light color close to one of the fabrics in the quilt? Have never worked on an old top like these before.

candlequilter 04-03-2011 01:02 AM

Wow Linda, Those are really neat, what a wonderful treasure for both you and the girls. I am sure whatever you decide to do will work out wonderfully you always do great work.Maybe one of these days I can see them in real life.

Take care,
Sherryl
Candlequilter