Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   THIS OLD QUILT - WHAT NOW? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/old-quilt-what-now-t70038.html)

Sew Krazy Girl 10-13-2010 11:54 PM

2 Attachment(s)
A very kind lady gave this to me, but I don't quite know what to do with it. She didn't know how old it is but said it was pretty old. It looks in very good shape. It doesn't fit my king bed and most likely was meant for a regular bed size.

If I add to it, how would I do that? I like color and was thinking of cutting off the white muslin on the edges to add more color. Is this too sinful? Does anyone recognize the fabrics' era? What to do is my question.

VERY OLD FAN QUILT TOP
[ATTACH=CONFIG]114063[/ATTACH]

CLOSER VIEW
[ATTACH=CONFIG]114064[/ATTACH]

ckcowl 10-14-2010 01:53 AM

well, first off i think if it's yours you can do what you want with it. if you want to cut it all up and make table runners out of it you can, there are no quilt police to cart you off or repossess your machine :)
it is a very pretty quilt! i can definitly see why you want to keep it and make it fit your bed. can you find fabrics to coordinate? i think if you removed the large outer border you could use that fabric in blocks to pull it together. maybe frame with a small border then make more fan blocks (using salvaged border fabric and your own scraps) then another outer border. it really depends on how much you need to add to get it up to size...measurements would be helpful. but as an example;
if it now measures 72"x80" and that outer border is 6", removing that would make it now 60"x 68" if you add a smaller (framing border) say 2 1/2" that brings you back up to 64"x72. then a new border of fan blocks (are they 12"?) if so that brings it up to 88"x 96 now it's getting there...then add another framing border; 4 1/2" will get it up to 96"x104" (this is of course just an example it all depends on the actual measurements.
i definitly think its worth expanding!

raptureready 10-14-2010 02:00 AM

It's beautiful! I agree with ckcowl, I'd remove that large outer border and use it to space some more blocks. It will be time consuming to make blocks in the style that the originals are but you'll be so pleased when it's finished. Search for some vintage fabrics that coordinate with the ones used.

SuziC 10-14-2010 02:28 AM

I agree also..i would add another border and make it your own. What a great find!

cherylynne 10-14-2010 03:58 AM

Maybe you could add some narrow borders wit a pieced wider border in between. I wouldn't feel like removing the boarder already there.

hobo2000 10-14-2010 04:08 AM

I think border material in bright colors, Jinny Beyer has some that would go perfectly (jinnybeyer.com)with a solid color on either side to frame the top of your bed then add back the background border for the overhang. Its a lovely quilt and will be beautiful when you finish.

CarrieAnne 10-14-2010 04:45 AM

Its really pretty! The prints remind me of the 30s and 40's fabrics. I love it!

quiltinghere 10-14-2010 04:59 AM

Very neat looking.

sueisallaboutquilts 10-14-2010 05:28 AM

If you cut off the border I would think you'd have a hard time finding fabric from that period in such long pieces. Without more of a close-up they look like feed sacks to me. But the rest of the quilt looks newer.
Maybe the blocks were done at one time and then put together years later?
I know Connecting Threads has a line called Canning Day that features feed sack looking fabrics.
Let us know what you do!!
It's so pretty!!!!!!! :D

neece 10-14-2010 06:50 AM

Definitely 30s-40s fabric. Personally I would leave it as is. It's gorgeous. Lucky you.