Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   One Mistake Leads to Another (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/one-mistake-leads-another-t182865.html)

dallen4350 03-15-2012 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by janetter (Post 5063497)
"No problem, I thought. I’ll just sew and cut the pieces of the window, sashing and frame to fit. Although I’ve read multiple times, that you must know the size of your blocks and sash and cut your borders to the correct size. If you just sew them on, you’ll have extra fabric in your border. It’s a lap quilt, so how bad could it be? Bad enough to cause little tucks during the quilting."

I know this might sound nieve but can you explain this? I alway "sew to length" i guess is how I would describe it. I feel so silly, but it would explain one of my issues

When I learned to quilt from "The Complete Idiots Guide to Quilting", it was stressed that you didn't just cut a length of fabric for the border and pin it on to your quilt. But determine the length you need, add a couple more inches (if you are mitering the corners). Then start in the middle and measure and mark the border to the blocks. For example, if you had a quilt with 6-12" blocks and 7-3" sashes and you wanted the border to be 6 inches, you would cut a length of fabric (or create from several WOF) of about 109". Then, starting in the center of the border, mark out 1.5" each side. This would be for the center sashing. Then mark 12" to each side of this. Then sets of 3" and 12", etc. Now, when pinning the border, align the markings to the seam lines of the quilt. You would then have 8" on each end to make the mitered corner. (You should need only 6" but the extra is in case you didn't start exactly in the middle...)

I've always done this and the borders have laid flat and never had problems quilting. When I have multiple borders, I sew the borders together first, then attach to the quilt and mitered the corners. Except when I did a piano key for a baby quilt, Then I attached the sides and then the top and bottom. Still I measured and marked. This is the first time, since the blocks weren't a specific size, I just pinned fabric the the sides and then cut it to length. Did the same for top and bottom. Some how this process (for me) caused a little extra fabric. So where the side met the top there was a bit of a tuck. I did a little extra stitching at the edge of the tuck, making it part of the quilting design, so it would lay flat.

This is probably clear as mud.

My DH likes the idea of making it into a wall hanging. Looks like I'll be making him another quilt. I haven't used flannel before... wonder what type of mistakes would happened if I tried?

bunniequilter 03-15-2012 05:58 PM

That is so sweet that you were able to forge ahead and finish the quilt for your hubby. It was probably worth every minute just to see that big ole' smile on his face.

4EVERquilt 03-15-2012 06:10 PM

Wow!! those penguins look so real. Beautiful quilt.

hopetoquilt 03-15-2012 06:58 PM

That quilt is contest worthy. It is so cool.

Eff 03-15-2012 07:25 PM

It's so awesome! Love the penguins - and I can't see your mistakes at all. You rolled with the punches like a pro! :D

rebeljane 03-15-2012 07:52 PM

I think it is just gorgeous :)

QM 03-15-2012 08:15 PM

It's a very handsome quilt. I am not sure, but I would guess that by the time the quilt softened, it would be wearing out, so I would not try it. Think of one of those T shirts with a plastic-feeling print on it. I used Bubblejet and printed on my prewashed and ironed fabic and had no surface problem, whereas the stuff I paid to have printed for me came out as you described. Maybe next time.

jaciqltznok 03-15-2012 08:21 PM

every quilt is a learning process..and look at his face....how wonderfully happy! Oh wait...where are the Happy feet???..sorry, could NOT resist! Great job!

BETTY62 03-15-2012 08:26 PM

If only my mistakes would turn out as awesome as yours.

Grandma58 03-15-2012 08:27 PM

WOW, that is pretty incredible!