Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   opinions please (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/opinions-please-t169024.html)

love to quilt 11-19-2011 01:55 PM

opinions please

1 Attachment(s)
I'm making a Ribbon of Hope quilt for a friend, (rail fence with a ribbon of hope in the middle). Well I came to the part when I was attaching my last 3 rows to the middle of the quilt, and the rows do not match up. If I adjust the seams going up and down, then the bottom section becomes 1/4 in too small.. My question is, if I adjust the bottom section to fit, trim the above sections by 1/4 of an inch, on the right side, I think I should trim the left side by 1/4 inch. I will be putting a 2 inch border, then a 4 inch border on as well.

Doing this pattern, 6 - 6 1/2 in. square accross, 8 6 1/2 in squares down, but with a 12 in square ribbon in the centre, there are a lot of seams to match. I have 3 rows above the ribbon and 3 rows below. I put 4 squares together to make a larger square, then added the last 2 squares (sewn together) to make 6 inch block. I really don't know where I went wrong. I took a picture and I can't get that to copy here. I has not been a great day.

My colors are purple/pink, light pink with the ribbon, and white. My first border is going to be white, the second, is purple/pink. The right side of the quilt top is mostly white and the left side is mostly purple/pink.

If anyone understands all this, would you please give me your opinion. Thanks for reading this.

love to quilt 11-19-2011 01:57 PM

opinionplease ( part 2)

I see the picture did get attached. Also the part that is not straight is where I have pinned it, trying to decide what to do.

hensandhollyhocks 11-19-2011 02:15 PM

Are you pressing your sewn pieces? It looks to me if you do that, and then keep the seems matched as you have, you could "work" it just a little and it will all come out close enough to add the border.

Wintersewer 11-19-2011 04:18 PM

It's hard to tell since you haven't pressed it,....but....could you take off the last vertical row of three on the bottom and sew them back on with a narrower seam. That was the edge might line up with the rest of that side.

Tartan 11-19-2011 04:33 PM

If it's only out a 1/4 inch, I would put the longer side to the feed dogs and put the shorter piece on top and try sewing it together. A little bit out on the seam lines shouldn't be too noticeable and the feed dogs help ease in extra fabric. Or you can just trim the 1/4 inch off on the one side that is long. It won't be perfect but chances are you'll be the only one to notice it. It looks awesome!

Beulah 11-19-2011 04:35 PM

I have pressed seams that did not quite match and with a little stretching or sewing in the opposite direction I could make it work. I stretch just a bit - pin - and press right before I sew. Usually you cannot tell and the result is close enough.

krafty14 11-20-2011 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by love to quilt (Post 4698897)
Doing this pattern, 6 - 6 1/2 in. square accross, 8 6 1/2 in squares down, but with a 12 in square ribbon in the centre, there are a lot of seams to match. I have 3 rows above the ribbon and 3 rows below. I put 4 squares together to make a larger square, then added the last 2 squares (sewn together) to make 6 inch block. I really don't know where I went wrong. I took a picture and I can't get that to copy here. I has not been a great day.

Just wondering -- Does your bottom part of 3 rows match your top part of 3 rows? If so, then your problem is in the middle group. Is your ribbon of hope block exactly the same size as your block of 4 rails? If not, fix the ribbon to match up, either by trimming or changing the width of the white border. Good luck, Ann

dcquilter 11-20-2011 06:42 AM

Don't agonize over it! It is beautiful, and you will be the only one who will notice the imperfections!

Pieces2 11-20-2011 07:04 AM

Did you square up your blocks before sewing your rows together?

fluffygirl 11-20-2011 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Beulah (Post 4699431)
I have pressed seams that did not quite match and with a little stretching or sewing in the opposite direction I could make it work. I stretch just a bit - pin - and press right before I sew. Usually you cannot tell and the result is close enough.

This is what I have done also. Thankfully, fabric is pretty forgiving. Also, Tartan's suggestion of putting the longer side down against the feed dogs works for me a lot of the time.

Pat