Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Orca Whale/ Bargello quilt...done..finally..not happy tho! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/orca-whale-bargello-quilt-done-finally-not-happy-tho-t205221.html)

coffeebreak 11-05-2012 06:19 PM

Orca Whale/ Bargello quilt...done..finally..not happy tho!

2 Attachment(s)
I have been talking about this for some time...now it is done. I am not to happy with it..just didn't turn out like I had hoped, but my GD loves Orcas and the panel came out very nicely with the outline of the whales and water etc...so I know she'll like that, and that will be on top all the time! It is just a few inches shorter than a twin size quilt

I did outline on the panel of the whales and the water...then Meandered (widely) the rest of it. The back is Bargello style. I was hoping for a "wave" effect...white capes etc..but that didn't turn out. I started trying for a beach and wave effect (beach = the dark black/brown at the bottom) and then the waves, but that didn't work! The squares are 1,1/2 - 2,1/2" wide. The meandering from the front is what is on the back and hidden alot with the colors. I wanted a soft cuddly quilt... but this one isn't it. I thin between the many squares and seams it just didn't work out.Back doesn't look so good.

I know she will love the front with the whales, but I dont' think she will give a care about the back, in spite of all my hard work! I don't even like it! But, can't toss it, so I'll just have a reason to make her another one!

Thanks to everyone that gave me suggestions and direction.

jojosnana 11-05-2012 06:35 PM

I think she will love it!

QuiltnNan 11-05-2012 06:39 PM

i think it's terrific... love the back, too

Foxflower 11-05-2012 06:39 PM

I'm sorry your not happy with it. I think the bargello side is fine, and I can see how it would be like waves and sand. You can never use too many reasons to quilt though. Happy Sewing

Chris Anders 11-05-2012 07:05 PM

:thumbup: I am sorry you aren't happy with it but I don't see anything wrong with it. You did a great job. I really like the back with the waves. She will love it too.

hopetoquilt 11-05-2012 07:10 PM

It will soften up after washed a few times or used. I am just impressed with your Bargello. I tried to make one but as soon as I cut the strips, they fell apart, probably bc my stitch length was to long.

joyce888 11-05-2012 07:10 PM

I like the Bargello back!

Diane007 11-05-2012 07:13 PM

me too l like your bargello

GreatStarter 11-05-2012 07:13 PM

It's beautiful, I can't imagine what you aren't pleased with. She will love it!

Kat

loisf 11-05-2012 07:18 PM

I think it's a lovely quilt. The back reminds me of the waves as they come into the shore. I don't know what you were trying to achieve that you didn't, but I think it's fun and interesting. I'm sure your granddaughter will love it.