Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Partially sashed? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/partially-sashed-t72929.html)

JanTx 10-28-2010 08:43 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here's a Christmas project I'm making for my daughter. I love the fabrics, but when I got it laid out it all seemed a bit dark. So I'm considering adding sashing - but it doesn't go between all the blocks. It would not be this material - but a darker cream - maybe even a muslin? I'd have to cut the blocks down to put sashing around each block. So ... none of this is sewn together... the blocks are made and just laid out. What, oh Wise Ones, do you suggest?

AND the first picture has a box of buttons I'm considering using for embellishment - like on the snowmen printed buttons and eyes. Would you just put them here and there? Does that make it not as cozy - to have buttons strewn about?

wolfkitty 10-28-2010 08:45 PM

Those are very cute blocks! I think a cream colored sash would look nice with it. You seem to have the right idea.

quilting Carol 10-28-2010 08:49 PM

Oh I made the same panel into a quilt it is still a top. I have so many I am looking to buy a longarm so that is why so many are not quilted...

JanTx 10-28-2010 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by quilting Carol
Oh I made the same panel into a quilt it is still a top. I have so many I am looking to buy a longarm so that is why so many are not quilted...

Can you post a pic of yours? (Just hope it doesn't make me want to grab the seam ripper and start over!)

I think I"m going to back it with flannel. Not sure about quilting yet - thought about using the buttons to tie it. Have the buttons on the top and tie on the backing? Is that too weird? That might be a lot of buttons!

Annaquilts 10-28-2010 08:55 PM

Redish sashing and definitely the buttons for a warm seasonal quilt.

JanTx 10-28-2010 09:00 PM

Reddish? Hadn't thought about that, but I'm sure it would be pretty. I was aiming at lightening it up ... so gonna have to lay some out and see if I still feel dark.

A button centered in every other block? I'd thought about one at each intersection, but that would be a LOT of buttons. The blocks are 4 inches across, but the top and bottom row are shorter than the center row. Had to do that to make the blocks match the size of the panel, but use the center block as is.

Sadiemae 10-28-2010 09:06 PM

I think you are off to a great start. A cream would be very pretty. My late Mom put buttons on a vest she made for me. If I can find it, I will post a pic.

Kitsapquilter 10-28-2010 09:59 PM

I like the idea of some sashing but maybe a more narrow one. Like about an inch wide (cut it 1 1/2"). A cream or ecru color would be great. Or someone said red...but I lean toward the light.

amma 10-28-2010 10:55 PM

Very cute, the sashing will lighten it up and it looks very nice too :D:D:D

SueDor 10-29-2010 01:13 AM

Red or cream would do the trick. Cute!