Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Passage Quilt -reversible (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/passage-quilt-reversible-t148137.html)

Mornigstar 08-26-2011 05:23 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Well quilt is finished to size requested by local funeral parlor.
White in corner is pillowcase to use as storage in hearse until needed as cover when other people are close by.

Ten min. block design from book # 2 by Suzanne McNeill.
Not a work of art but practical usage , colors and fabric content.
Thank you to whoever mentioned these quilts months ago since this one was an honor for me to donate.

Men's side
[ATTACH=CONFIG]247194[/ATTACH]

Ladies side
[ATTACH=CONFIG]247195[/ATTACH]

Close up to show pattern
[ATTACH=CONFIG]247196[/ATTACH]

Mix up --Ladies
[ATTACH=CONFIG]247198[/ATTACH]

hopetoquilt 08-26-2011 05:25 PM

very sweet of you to donate. beautiful work

Maggie_Sue 08-26-2011 05:30 PM

Never knew funeral parlors used quilts??

debcavan 08-26-2011 05:52 PM

My group has been making passage quilts. Can you PM me the size the funeral home requested. They are so appreciated but we just give them, we didn't ask a size.

blueangel 08-26-2011 06:07 PM

Nice

Mornigstar 08-26-2011 06:28 PM

Understand-- this quilt is to use and keep at funeral parlor.
When a body is taken from a nursing home, extended care unit or such type a quilt cover is put over the black bag as body is taken past other patients. Nurses say that then the patients are more relaxed and will even walk up and say a good-bye. In hospitals guerneys go in service elevators and not as obvious but in some smaller buildings a death is more known. My friend told me how she thought of me as her deceased brother was taken out in black bag --with a quilt covering.
I never heard of donating the quilt to the family as I don't see the same use. I sew quilts for people diagnoised with cancer to use-- especially for chemo treatments but they get to keep them understandably (Victoria's Quilts). These survivors then use quits for comfort/warmth for yrs but can leave/will it to family member of their choice later.

Requested size was 84 x 36 inches reversible girl/boy

Made mine in colors that wouldn't mark easily in poly blend fabrics used from stash --easily washable/dryable and not big and fluffy to take room for storage in hearse where I was told they could keep it ready to use. Live in country area of small towns so seems applicable here. Hope this explains my feelings.

spartan quilter 08-26-2011 06:37 PM

What a wonderful gift. I was present when each of my parents died, and with each of them, I walked along side of their bodies as they were taken to the hearse, and it would have been a lot nicer to have the bags covered with a quilt. That is moving to the top of my bucket list to make one for each of the funeral homes in our area. It may take me awhile, but I will do it.

LLWinston44 08-26-2011 08:19 PM

You know... This touches me deeply. I am adding this to my list. When my dad died, I couldn't go be with my mom because I was so scared of exactly what you're talking about. I still feel terrible about it to this day. If there had been a quilt, the image wouldn't have been so frightening.

May in Jersey 08-27-2011 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by Maggie_Sue

Neither did I but I can see that they are very useful.

joym 08-27-2011 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by May in Jersey

Originally Posted by Maggie_Sue

Neither did I but I can see that they are very useful.

Neither did I....thanks so much for posting the information. Bookmarked.